Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
Depends on what you mean by the wheels “coming off”….
Does the wheel set fall out of the truck? Do the wheels come off the axle?

I think we need more details before we can help you with the problem….

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Wild guess: The truck frame has gotten bent outward a tad.. Perhaps remove wheel/axles and bend frame inward a tad.. Go E A S Y !! Old pewter/pot metal could snap !! Do trucks pick up current for motor ? May need new truck/s..

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Its also possible that the axel bearing surface on the truck side is worn out, after long years of service. Maybe it time for some new trucks!
That would be my guess / recommendation too. Simply replace the trucks.

If you don't seen any obvious signs of wear, you can TRY heating the trucks in 180 degree water and gently bending them inwards where the axles rest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wheels on my tender seem to be coming off quite frequently is there any tricks of the trade I can use to stop this. Thank you
THE TRUCKS ARE NEW BUT THE WHEELS ARE OLD SINCE I NEEDED THEM BECAUSE OF THEIR ELECTRICAL CONTACT. I WILL TRY OUT SOME OF YOUR SOLUTIONS. THANKS FOR COMMENTING

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Caps lock happens, don't worry about it. Can you take a close up picture of the axels and how they look going into the side frame? Might help. Are the openings in the truck side frame for a conical end axel or just a straight small diameter rod, and do they agree with the axels you installed?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Caps lock happens, don't worry about it.
Yes, it does, but fortunately it's very easy to delete the offending text and observe some forum etiquette.

That said, I agree -- sounds like the axles on the old wheels don't match the new trucks. All metal wheels will pick up current; thee is no need to keep the old wheelsets for that reason.

Reactions: Old_Hobo
1 - 16 of 16 Posts