Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years away, I came back to the hobby in March of this year. It seems that I am having quite some difficulty in finding some products. The words "Out of Stock" and "Backorder" are dominating my online searches, especially from Canadian online shops. This is very common if I am looking for products from Atlas, Peco, and Walthers. So, I guess what I am asking is, is this "situation normal", or is this a temporary situation caused by the covid pandemic? I'm assuming a lot of products are manufactured overseas, and that the pandemic is the cause of my problem. Am I correct in my assumption?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Some/most manufacturers do production “runs”. So they’ll make for arguements sake 1000 of a NYC boxcar, then switch to something else...say a G&W 2 bay covered hopper in say a qty of 1000 and so on...once those are sold out, you have to wait for the manufacturer to do another “run”.

It didn’t use to be this way but that’s how manufacturers justify the large price tags nowadays by limiting supply.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I agree with briangcc.....manufacturing isn’t what it used to be......pre-orders determine how many they make, and once they’re gone, we wait until the next run.....no one wants to warehouse product anymore, that costs money.....as for the high price tags, well, RTR has added to the price.....factory assembling is not free.....and the detail on today’s items blow away what came before in simple kits, so that also affects the price.....

Plus, the pandemic definitely hasn’t helped, but product is being made slowly.....

One thing this hobby forces you to learn is patience.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for posting this TommyB. I have the same problem. But, patience, I have never been very good at that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was told a few years back a big Chinese model train factory shut down and that’s also part of the issue. I’ve got no proof of that being an issue so take it for gospel or a grain of salt but that’s one reason I’ve heard

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
The only factory to fully shut down has been Shinohara, with the result that all of Walthers track products had to be sourced to another company.

As far as the move to limited runs, that had to do with too many stores and factories having dead stock and having to eat the cost, which was putting negative pressure on the whole industry, from retail to production. It had nothing to do with justifying higher prices. Smaller runs cause higher prices because the fixed costs are amortized over fewer units.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
There was an issue with a large factory in China shutting down and locking out workers, about 2 years ago....it affected Intermountain, Atlas, Bowser, and a few other bigger manufacturers, who didn’t have any new product for over a year, and a few are only now getting new product out....

Anybody remember that?

Edit: Found the story....

Model Train Factory Shuts Down

Model Train Companies Affected

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gimme30, yes I am modelling in N scale, and you are right, some things just don't exist. However, I'm speaking about items that do exist, listed in the catalogs of online retailers. I just wondered if this was the norm, or if this was due to the current pandemic situation. I think my question has been pretty much answered and I thank you all for responding. PATIENCE....not a fan of that word....:confused:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
"Out of Stock" and "Back-ordered"
Lately I see a lot of that no matter what the product is.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I’m an equipment technician by trade and we are even struggling to get a lot of parts. We have a warehouse a couple hours away that’s 3 million square feet that’s running low on even commonly used parts so The out of stock situation is a common issue right now. The pandemic isn’t helping anything right now

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Euro modelers don't seem to have those problems. We just have to wait on the second run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts