Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, there is no track on the shelves. I had Atlas track for it all, but decided that it would be too difficult to put locos on the track on the highest shelves, so I just left the shelves trackless.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Looks good. Visibility of the shelved trains is better than I thought it would be.

Does it block lighting to the platform? Looks like it did in the last shot but that could just be the camera playing tricks.

Going to be difficult getting rid of the old fan.

What size threaded rod did you use? 3/8-16?

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The visibility worked out as I hoped, although I had not dawned on me what a great view I would have from across the layout to the backside of the shelves.

They don't seem to block the light much, but I might add an LED light bar or or two . . .

The ceiling fan will stay. Its ugly, but a project to remove it would be ugh-lier still!!!

The rods are 3/8-16. Half inch seemed like overkills, and quarter inch might have been big enough, but this seemed like the best size.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Fine job as usual Lee. You are fortunate to have such a high ceiling in your train room. I have to duck in my basement.
When I saw Guggenheim mentioned I was thinking of a helix you would be running trains on.
I now see some empty space which no doubt will get filled up soon.

Pete

·
Admin
45,484 Posts
The ceiling fan will stay. Its ugly, but a project to remove it would be ugh-lier still!!!
You could just remove the fan and put an outlet cover over the box, probably wouldn't look as out of place as the neutered fan! :D

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could just remove the fan and put an outlet cover over the box, probably wouldn't look as out of place as the neutered fan! :D
Well, I have to get to the fan to remove it. Placement and such are in the category of an "unrecognized design mistake" at the time the layout was built.

I cannot stand on the layout. So removing it the fan means: removing the RR track and bridge over the lake (four hours min). Removing the lake (94" sheet of plywood) and putting it carefully in the far aisle (will take, probably, a day). Crawling under the layout with a ladder and setting it up in the pop up hatch where the lake was, I did this years ago, assuming i can figure out how once again), climbing up the ladder through the pop up hatch, removing the fan piece by piece and lowering it onto the floor through the pop up hatch below without dropping anything on the layout, covering it up with something like a plate or board. Then crawling down, removing the ladder, getting out from under the laoyut, putting the lake surface back (another full day), reinstalling the bridge and track and aligning them well again.

The fan just is not THAT ugly.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Amazing work Lee. Nicely done.

·
Admin
45,484 Posts
Well, I have to get to the fan to remove it. Placement and such are in the category of an "unrecognized design mistake" at the time the layout was built.

I cannot stand on the layout. So removing it the fan means: removing the RR track and bridge over the lake (four hours min). Removing the lake (94" sheet of plywood) and putting it carefully in the far aisle (will take, probably, a day). Crawling under the layout with a ladder and setting it up in the pop up hatch where the lake was, I did this years ago, assuming i can figure out how once again), climbing up the ladder through the pop up hatch, removing the fan piece by piece and lowering it onto the floor through the pop up hatch below without dropping anything on the layout, covering it up with something like a plate or board. Then crawling down, removing the ladder, getting out from under the laoyut, putting the lake surface back (another full day), reinstalling the bridge and track and aligning them well again.

Well, when you put it that way, I see your point! :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Your train room is simply amazing! It's there a place to sit and relax while trains run? I've found one of my favorite spots is the chair at my workbench next to my test tracks with a simple train going around. Strangely relaxing.

Beautiful room.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. vette-kid. I have an adjustable-height, swiveling stool that i sit on right at the head of the layout's central table (just below the scene in the first photo). It is right in front of the ZWL and ZW-80 that run my trains.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Lee,

It’s pretty obvious what needs to be done with the fan. With your imagination, I don’t know why you didn’t think of it.

Remove the blade brackets. Fabricate a bracket to hold a vertical rod that will end a few inches below the Guggenheim shelves. Attach a horizontal rod to the lower end of the vertical rod. The horizontal rod will have a rocket on each end and will need to be well balanced. With your energy, I’m sure this will take you only a few hours.

The only difficult part of this project will be to train a small monkey to climb up and do the installation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts