Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm blaming all of you!!!

What started as a simple thought of setting up the trains, normally only used one a year around the christmas tree, on a 4x8 piece of plywood on top of a table in the basement so my kids and I could enjoy them year round has quickly spiraled.

1st, I opened up the old boxes of my grandfather's plasticville buildings which I thought would be nice to display. That got the gears turning "wouldn't it be nice to show off all of this history my grandfather enjoyed so much." Well my 6 and 2 year old enjoyed it as much as I did, so the ideas kept coming. I started surfing ebay, and facebook marketplace, finding an old set of Marx trains.

Then "hmmm, I have more space down here than I realized, if I move this here and this can get removed"

My simple 4'x8' plywood piece was enlarged to an L shape. But "uh oh, the little legs on that table won't support that much weight." "I know, I'll just add legs,but how will they stay straight, maybe a trim piece." I haven't even finalized the track plan yet! And all you people do is keep giving me more and better ideas!!! I need to stop, but I can't. :p

Honestly I just have to thank you all. I will finally be able to share my love for trains with others anytime instead of just around the holiday season. And my kids get to enjoy it all with me.

Here are pictures documenting the progression.

1) the space I have to work with
2)my grandfather's plasticville buildings
3) the Marx trains mentioned above
4) the 4'x8' sheet grows
5) the new layout as of yesterday

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yepper, thats how the bug bit me too. Good Luck with your build. Once your in it just keeps on growing. But it is a real cool hobby. Enjoy it with the kidos, they'll have these memories forever, so will you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
First off, I'm blaming all of you!!!

What started as a simple thought of setting up the trains, normally only used one a year around the christmas tree, on a 4x8 piece of plywood on top of a table in the basement so my kids and I could enjoy them year round has quickly spiraled ...
Your not the first, more like a class action lawsuit size crowd :)

Those electric switches in the cardboard box; they're O-34 diameter (O-27 track in a larger diameter). Marx made 27" and 34" diameter circles in O-27 track. You need to account for that in your layout (e.g., the plywood monster grows...).

And you need to incorporate those switches in your track plan. They're remote controlled and add a whole other level participation / fun. And they're easy to service. Pop the two screws on the switch box and you can get to most all the moving parts that may lubrication (cleaning). I don't use oil. I've used teflon and silicon sprays.

Download SCARM. Pretty neat track layout program. The free version will handle 100 pieces of track. It will tell you the exact dimensions of your track plan (and, thus, required table size).

It's pretty easy after an hour or so of learning it's point & click editing commands. And it has MARX 34" diameter circles in it's database of tracks (though not the switches, only the O-27 switches).

Let me know when you want to sign on to the class action ....

C

·
0 Posts
You are off to a great start. The fun is just beginning. Please keep us informed as you make progress.

·
Registered
71 Posts
GO FOR IT!

The little ones will only be that age once. Enjoy the time with them. Too soon they will be into other things.

My layout began when a young father bought a train for his little boy. The little boy lost interest and the train was packed away.

The little boy had 3 little boys. All too soon they had other interests. The train was moth balled.

The 3 little boys have a total of 8 kids.

The 4th generation is playing with the trains.

Oh, the memories.....

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Very good. You are having fun. Building a layout is a grand adventure. Nice set of authentic old Plasticville buildings, too.

thank you for posting this. It is interesting.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Like so many have said.... "Just Like me". You are in a great spot. Just beginning and knowing about MTF. There is so much help available from this crowd. Please keep posting and ask questions. You will get great advice.

My daughter told me it was time to set the trains up for the grandchildren's Christmas. They never went back in the boxes.

Here is my start after the 4X8' plywood and 12 years later...

Trains 010.JPG

East 5 2013.jpg

Overview 8.jpg

·
Registered
638 Posts
Looking good so far:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts