Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mather Stock Car Company was a U.S. corporation that built railroad rolling stock. Mather specialized in stock cars, but built other types of cars as well, including boxcars. The company was headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Their main headquarters building, Mather Tower, built in 1928 in Chicago, still stands today. This building has the smallest floors of any of Chicago's skyscrapers.

Mather was founded by Alonzo C. Mather; the company's first stock car was built in 1880. As the 20th century dawned, Mather began leasing stock cars to the railroads that used them. Railroads of the time found it less expensive to lease stock cars than to purchase them outright or to build them. By the 1920s, Mather had expanded their fleet to include boxcars and refrigerator cars along with a few tank cars.

With the onset of the Great Depression in the US, Mather was one of a limited number of companies that saw profits in the 1930s. As railroads eliminated freight cars out of their own fleets, leasing companies such as Mather were able to step in and supply freight cars as needed.

In the late 1950s Mather was merged into the North American Car Corporation of Chicago.

Metal Wheels & Knuckle couplers.

Probably the most detailed kit I've done.

I gotta say though, those plastic brake lines aren't such a great idea. I did manage to get them cut off of the sprue w/o breaking anything, but there's no way you're going to trim off all of the sprue scabs w/o breaking something.

Then of course I had a break or two while attaching the assembly shown on the cutting mat.

Those lines should be wire IMO.

Looking forward to the 50 or so plastic grab-irons. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Now the Mather Building is not divided into three different hotels, each one within a different sized segment of the tower. I stayed in a room in the top segment a few years ago. It really is tiny up there.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
The grab irons are no sweat, just go slow.....I find that if I enlarge the holes ever so slightly, the grabs will go in better, then a touch of styrene cement and they’re go to go....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Does that one have a built date on it Hobo, and how does the quality appear compared to the P2000 engines in your opinion ?

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Build date 1943......the cars are just as detailed as the locomotives.....Proto 2000 kits and RTR cars are among the nicest for detail, and were/are priced low for what you got.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
That’s what I had hoped, thank you, I will have to keep my eyes open to sometime pick a couple up.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Nice detail Stumpy. Did they really paint the truck bolsters the same as the car body?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Proto-2000 kits go back a ways, but they will turn up at train meets. I recently completed a Proto-2000 tank car kit (Phila Quartz). Assembling the kit was a major project! Lot of small detail parts that you had to be very careful with. When completed tho, it turned out to be a very nice and interesting tank car. Whenever there are train meets again, I will be looking for the stock car kit. Proto-2000 kits were tank cars, gondola cars (not sure), and this stock car kit. Has anybody else completed these kits? For me HO is fascinating b/c of all the variety in kits over a period of many years. RTR predominates today however.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice detail Stumpy. Did they really paint the truck bolsters the same as the car body?
Yes. I think I'm going to mask off the underbody and hit it and the trucks with flat black or dark gray.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Proto 2000 also made black trucks......it seems only the stock cars came with the brown/rust coloured trucks, all my tank cars, box cars, flat cars, hopper cars, and gondolas came with black trucks......I have tons of black spares in my parts bin.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Proto-2000 kits go back a ways, but they will turn up at train meets. I recently completed a Proto-2000 tank car kit (Phila Quartz). Assembling the kit was a major project! Lot of small detail parts that you had to be very careful with. When completed tho, it turned out to be a very nice and interesting tank car. Whenever there are train meets again, I will be looking for the stock car kit. Proto-2000 kits were tank cars, gondola cars (not sure), and this stock car kit. Has anybody else completed these kits? For me HO is fascinating b/c of all the variety in kits over a period of many years. RTR predominates today however.
I am working on a gondola now, using A-Line grab irons and stirrups instead of the plastic ones that came with the kit. Have another gondola and a few box cars. Need a clear work space and a good light source, plus some patience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts