Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I assume this is the Enola yard, across the Susquehanna from Harrisburg.
Even without the clarification above, it was pretty clear that it wasn't the Enola yard. While it was one of the Pennsy's most important yards, it's never been one of the biggest.

Another clue was that the photo caption stated that it was Conway Yard outside Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Even without the clarification above, it was pretty clear that it wasn't the Enola yard. While it was one of the Pennsy's most important yards, it's never been one of the biggest.

Another clue was that the photo caption stated that it was Conway Yard outside Pittsburgh.

according to Wikipedia; the WORLDS LARGEST FREIGHT YARD thru 1950's

Enola Yard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Central terminal and service area at Enola Yard in 2012.

Enola Yard is located in Pennsylvania
Enola Yard

Enola Yard

Enola Yard is a large rail yard located in East Pennsboro Township, Pennsylvania, along the western shore of the Susquehanna River at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
It was the world's largest freight yard through 1956

·
Registered
845 Posts
Enola today is but a shadow of what it once was.
One of the entire hump yards (there were once two) is gone.
I believe the other one is flat-switched now (no hump).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry. My OP of conway yard being the largest in the late 30's is incorrect. It was actually from 1956 till 1980. Enola yard was the largest prior to 1956.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Well, from your same reference (Wikipedia), in the next several sentences, several other yards laid claim to the same title in the same period). But I stand enlightened. My memory of it dates back to about 1969, so I guess it had already lost a lot of its area / capacity / volume by then. The Penn Central didn't use it as a major yard (one prominent NYC official was quoted as saying, "Where in the [heck] is Harrisburg?!?").

1 - 12 of 12 Posts