Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed both a PSX-1 and a PSX-AR and now have no power. But the headlights will light up! I've searched everywhere for a reset code or button. I can't even interpret the lit led's on either board. Does anyone have a reference i can go to?

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
I recently installed both a PSX-1 and a PSX-AR and now have no power. But the headlights will light up! I've searched everywhere for a reset code or button. I can't even interpret the lit led's on either board. Does anyone have a reference i can go to?
The PSX-1 is a circuit breaker and the PSX-AR is a reverse loop controller (possibly
for a 2 rail AC track such as American Flyer).

How are you using these devices?

Don

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Disconnect the PSX-1 and reconnect to the rails. Do your trains run with DCC commands via your paddle/throttle? Then you have the PSX-1 set incorrectly, wired incorrectly, it's defective, or its actually working and something else is amiss. The PSX series make no sounds; they operate silently. They either work when needed, as designed, and unnoticed, or something is wrong.

The PSX-AR, as Don says above, is an auto-reverser to switch phase when there's a conflict with phase over gaps. They reverse phase for turning wye or reverse loop situations. They, like the PSX-1, are silent runners, but they do need to have a CV set, and maybe reset, that affects how quickly the AR will detect and counteract faults. Too slow and your base unit will detect the fault first and turn off track power until you correct the fault. That is counterproductive since you want the AR to do it first, and to do it seamlessly so that trains don't stall at the gaps. The manual describes how to set the CV. It might seem to be daunting, but it's pretty straightforward, and you continue to modify the entered values for that CV until you get the performance you need from the AR.

If power isn't getting to the rails, that can be ascertained immediately with a meter. If the rails are being powered, but the locomotive on those rails won't respond, you may have a defective AR that won't transmit the signal properly.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The PSX-AR is a reverse loop controller for DCC. Detailed instructions are on line. Just for information, the PSX-AR-AC is made for AC layouts such as American Flyer. They are easy to tell apart because the AC version has a large heat sink to handle a continuous 10A at 18V. Below is a picture of one of mine.

461615E1-9D19-4D77-92DF-DB57EBD72F38.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The PSX-1 is a circuit breaker and the PSX-AR is a reverse loop controller (possibly
for a 2 rail AC track such as American Flyer).

How are you using these devices?

Don
I created 2 separate districts/blocks separated with insulated connectors. The PSX-AR goes to the block with the reverse loop and i combined the 4 drops from my bus wire all connected to the output side of the PSX-1. I have a jumper between the first 2 holes that sets the overload at 1.3 v i think. I'm using NCE power pro on a 5 amp system. Its N guage.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
I created 2 separate districts/blocks separated with insulated connectors. The PSX-AR goes to the block with the reverse loop and i combined the 4 drops from my bus wire all connected to the output side of the PSX-1. I have a jumper between the first 2 holes that sets the overload at 1.3 v i think. I'm using NCE power pro on a 5 amp system. Its N guage.
It would be difficult to answer your questions with accuracy without a
simple drawing of your track plan.

However, the wiring of your track should have the output of the DCC controller
and Booster feed the main track bus with track drops every 6 feet or so. The
PSX-ar input is also fed by that main power bus. The PSX-ar output feeds
the isolated track section between the 2 sets of insulators. If that section
is unusually long you may have several track drops to a bus fed by the output of the
PSX-ar.

I'm not clear on the intent of the PSX-1 circuit breaker. Are you protecting
the entire layout with it, or just the isolated reverse loop section?

Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using the PSX-1 for the part of the layout that isn't in the reverse loop. I followed your instructions and somehow the layout is now running everything just fine. So thank you for the good advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts