Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just came into possession of an older locomotive set complete with track and controller. The track brand is AHM, its HO scale. If I want to expand the tracks are there any brands of track that will work with the older AHM track, and is there anything else I need to be aware of?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

I am into AHM Loco's Freight Cars, Buildings, etc but have not used the track.
From looking at the track it appears to be compatible/the same as Atlas, Tyco, Lifelike.
All of the above track fit together using metal rail joiners.
The AHM track is brass which just requires a little more maintenance than today's Silver/Nickle track, the brass track tarnishes and oxidizes quicker so it needs to be cleaned more often, once the heavily tarnished areas have been cleaned using a track cleaner rubbing alcohol is usually all that is needed to keep them clean.
I have a mix of both brass and silver/nickle on my small layout and my loco's do not know the difference.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Track codes

I just came into possession of an older locomotive set complete with track and controller. The track brand is AHM, its HO scale. If I want to expand the tracks are there any brands of track that will work with the older AHM track, and is there anything else I need to be aware of?
kingtigerpz;

The older AHM track you have likely has code 100 rail. That's OK, current production track is available in code 100 along with code 83, code 70, 55, Etc. So what does this code business mean; and why would it matter? The code# is simply the height of the rail in 1000ths of an inch. So your code 100 rails would be 100/1000ths" high. If you get any other code heights of track, they won't just fit together easily the same as two pieces of code 100 would; but they can be adapted to fit. For the track itself, different code heights aren't all that big a deal. You mentioned "old AHM cars." These may have very deep wheel flanges, which could bump the ties on lower code rail. This too can be remedied, (by replacing those wheels with lower flanged ones) This would only be needed if, you ever decide to go to a different rail code size. The only reason for doing that is for appearance. The smaller rail simply looks more realistic. The code 100 rails are high enough to be out-of-scale, but they work just fine.
If you plan on staying with the code 100 rail, the issues I've mentioned won't even come up.
Eventually, many modelers decide to use nickle-silver flex track. This comes in three foot pieces which can be bent to any desired curve. That frees you from using only the few available fixed curve sizes available in sectional track, like you have now. This would also be the point at which a modeler might decide to go to a more realistic looking rail size.
Each person is different, so is each model railroad. There is no "right" or "best" way. If you are, and stay, happy with AHM, brass rail, code100, track, that's just fine. Whatever you chose is right for you.

Regards;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nicely put, Traction fan. Ahm used track made by Casadio for many years. Mostly brass, but N.S. was available. Like the bulk of the items offered by AHM, The variety was incredible. They offered standard sectional, flex, curved turnouts, double slip switches and you name it. The older track is high quality stuff, and will match up to current code 100 trackwork.
I would recommend Nickel Silver track highly, but brass is fine. We had miles of it on our club layout in the '80's and I used brass personally until the mid '90's, no problems.
NAJ and I are birds of a feather, I'm an AHM guy myself, messing with TYCO's lately though.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

I am into AHM Loco's Freight Cars, Buildings, etc but have not used the track.
From looking at the track it appears to be compatible/the same as Atlas, Tyco, Lifelike.
All of the above track fit together using metal rail joiners.
The AHM track is brass which just requires a little more maintenance than today's Silver/Nickle track, the brass track tarnishes and oxidizes quicker so it needs to be cleaned more often, once the heavily tarnished areas have been cleaned using a track cleaner rubbing alcohol is usually all that is needed to keep them clean.
I have a mix of both brass and silver/nickle on my small layout and my loco's do not know the difference.

Enjoy!!!
I was outdoors in G scale with brass track for many years. I did have to use the green scrub pad if I didn't run regularly but it should be almost no problem indoors. But nickel silver is the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts