Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found this collection of HO railroad cars and I am looking for help finding out what they are or who made them. Any help is welcome. There are 19 cars total in a metal case. Many have photographs of the original cars. I attached photos of the case and of the 19 cars. They seem to be all custom made. Three are unfinished. Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
The case is just something the boxes happened to fit in. The boxes are all athearn kits.
I have a bunch of those and like them a lot. They are called blue box kits. They have had their couplers changed to much better Kaddee couplers. Nice score. I do not think they are customs. I have many of the same cars. Looking back at pics
I see some boxes are roundhouse. All good cars.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi,

I found this collection of HO railroad cars and I am looking for help finding out what they are or who made them. Any help is welcome. There are 19 cars total in a metal case. Many have photographs of the original cars. I attached photos of the case and of the 19 cars. They seem to be all custom made. Three are unfinished. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ok. So the case is custom the Athern cars are called “ blue box” I believe they were kits ( I don’t do HO) and the others are roundhouse cars ( idk if kits or not) as the other members said they are all worth 5 to 10 $$$ per car..... ( sorry for any spelling errors I am on mobile)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Were they custom painted to match the pictures? I think the set might pique someone’s interest if so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your help. I put the collection in the for-sale section. They do match the photographs, so they must have been custom painted to match though I don't know enough about HO train cars to say for sure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
To me the true value of a car depends on a lot of things; its condition, subject matter, construction, rarity, road name, how prototypical it is to the actual car. You also have to take into consideration what it's going to take to whip it in to shape to run on your layout. most cars I see on Ebay are terrible. More like toys. They have not been weighted to industry standard, they usually have cheap horn hook couplers and plastic wheels and bogies, parts are missing or broken off. Sometimes equipment or additional structural elements were added to the car that were not on the prototype. As far as I'm concerned, that all has to be ripped out and the cost added to the true cost and value of the car. And then there's weathering. A lot of guys think they're masters of weathering. Just slap on some god awful left over paint, dyes and chock and it's a masterpiece, right? Makes the car worth twice the price. Trust me. When it comes to weathering there's a big difference between someone who knows what they're doing and those who don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me the true value of a car depends on a lot of things; its condition, subject matter, construction, rarity, road name, how prototypical it is to the actual car. You also have to take into consideration what it's going to take to whip it in to shape to run on your layout. most cars I see on Ebay are terrible. More like toys. They have not been weighted to industry standard, they usually have cheap horn hook couplers and plastic wheels and bogies, parts are missing or broken off. Sometimes equipment or additional structural elements were added to the car that were not on the prototype. As far as I'm concerned, that all has to be ripped out and the cost added to the true cost and value of the car. And then there's weathering. A lot of guys think they're masters of weathering. Just slap on some god awful left over paint, dyes and chock and it's a masterpiece, right? Makes the car worth twice the price. Trust me. When it comes to weathering there's a big difference between someone who knows what they're doing and those who don't.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
They're pretty run-of-the-mill inexpensive cars.....nothing really special about them....the best thing is the case and the clever wording on it!

We sell those same types of cars for $10.00 (CAD) each in our train store....

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Santa Fe is right, in that the "value" of the set is what someone is willing to pay. I personally wouldn't value it at $500. Maybe half that. If they are custom painted, they might fetch more than that. But they base kits are inexpensive Athearn models, and old ones at that.

But that's just me. Try it and see what you get.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts