Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Santa Fe is right, in that the "value" of the set is what someone is willing to pay. I personally wouldn't value it at $500. Maybe half that. If they are custom painted, they might fetch more than that. But they base kits are inexpensive Athearn models, and old ones at that.

But that's just me. Try it and see what you get.
Thanks. It's in the 'For Sale' section of the site if someone is interested.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Those cases were decorative items from the 1980’s - 1990’s. They are not related to the train cars at all. I have one of the cases that my mother purchased when I was a kid. She kept some of my things in the case for storage. I have the case at my house some where.

The cars may have had a few numbers or a few letters added here and there. Also perhaps some extra painting on a few of them.

However, they are very common type kits that are still being sold today by the same 2 manufacturers.

$500? No way or not even close.. I would list all 19 in 1 listing on eBay with a starting bid of $140 or list each car for $8.95 starting bid each. Find another use for the case because being it’s not related to the hobby the shipping on the case alone would be high.

If all 19 do not sell the first round they will sell eventually. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Those cases were decorative items from the 1980’s - 1990’s. They are not related to the train cars at all. I have one of the cases that my mother purchased when I was a kid. She kept some of my things in the case for storage. I have the case at my house some where.

The cars may have had a few numbers or a few letters added here and there. Also perhaps some extra painting on a few of them.

However, they are very common type kits that are still being sold today by the same 2 manufacturers.

$500? No way or not even close.. I would list all 19 in 1 listing on eBay with a starting bid of $140 or list each car for $8.95 starting bid each. Find another use for the case because being it’s not related to the hobby the shipping on the case alone would be high.

If all 19 do not sell the first round they will sell eventually. Good luck.
Thanks. Please note that the $500 was suggested by a member of this forum in my HO trains forum post.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If I were modeling American outline I would value that at no more than $125 and you can keep the case.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Thanks. Please note that the $500 was suggested by a member of this forum in my HO trains forum post.
However, that is a totally unrealistic suggestion for those cars....and there was also a suggestion of between $5 and $10.....interesting you didn't go for that one....:laugh:

The truth is, those kinds of cars can be purchased for between $5 and $10 at train shows and hobby shops that sell used cars.....

Although something is only worth what someone is willing to pay....
keep them at $500.......and don't be discouraged if they don't sell at that price....and if they do sell, well, you know what they say about a certain person being born every minute......:laugh:

16 Posts
You say you "Found" them? Where? The back of a parked truck? LOL
Seriously, I'm curious on how much you picked them up for.
I'm also curious when they were available, and what time frame they fit in.
I don't have a layout currently, and N will all I fitting in my apartment.
But if they fit into the 1920's to 1930's area, the Museum Project might be interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You say you "Found" them? Where? The back of a parked truck? LOL
Seriously, I'm curious on how much you picked them up for.
I'm also curious when they were available, and what time frame they fit in.
I don't have a layout currently, and N will all I fitting in my apartment.
But if they fit into the 1920's to 1930's area, the Museum Project might be interested.
Found them at a yard sale for $5.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
So, up to now, those cars with case are worth (worth being what someone is willing to buy them for) $5.00.....

Not worth 100 times that, unless, of course someone is willing to spend $500 for them....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So, up to now, those cars with case are worth (worth being what someone is willing to buy them for) $5.00.....

Not worth 100 times that, unless, of course someone is willing to spend $500 for them....
Make me an offer I can't refuse :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm going to second the eBay suggestion with a bit more optimism. They've got KD couplers and most look nicely done.

For the cars that are finished and have a picture put them up individually with a starting bid of 15 bucks each with the photo. You won't find much interest here but there are folks out there who will find unique cars like that interesting.

For the unfinished cars, maybe put them with the box on Craigslist. The box is likely too heavy for most to want to pay shipping, but it's a bit of a novelty and someone will pay a few bucks for it.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
For the cars that are finished and have a picture put them up individually with a starting bid of 15 bucks each with the photo. You won't find much interest here but there are folks out there who will find unique cars like that interesting
Except that they are not all that unique.....Athearn and Roundhouse made literally thousands upon thousands of those....

Just sayin'....:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Except that they are not all that unique.....Athearn and Roundhouse made literally thousands upon thousands of those....

Just sayin'....:eek:hwell:
Except, my friend that they are unique.

As near as I can tell, these are all quite cleanly done customizations with decals and some with modifications and paintwork. I didn't check them all, but I popped a few of the road numbers into google and didn't get any results. If you watch Ebay auctions you'll notice that the bog-standard Athearn cars generally go for a pretty low price, but the less common road numbers will go for a bit more. Just the same way BevBel, Roadrunner, etc go for more.

I suspect -though I have no proof- that there are a fair number of folks who still run and collect Blue Box stuff, that already have the base model, but would like to add more to their consist's that aren't identically numbered. I'm not enough of a collector (and too much of a cheapskate) to pay premium prices for anything, but even I hunted down and paid a couple bucks more for the late production EJ&E Blue Box hopper because it was a different number.

Again, I'm assuming here but it's likely that the alternate paint schemes -which seem to be well done- combined with the photo, box and the fact that they already have KD's installed could easily boost these to 50% over the cost of regular Blue Boxes, maybe more. The unfinished examples, and the ones with broken stirrups will likely not get any more than standard BB's (possibly less), but that's to be expected with any train sale.

Still, there's no reason not to list the finished, undamaged, with-picture, examples on ebay with a starting price of $15 each (maybe 13?). Worst case scenario they don't all sell, but I'm pretty confident the OP can expect to easily make his investment quite a few times over and what remains can be dropped into a lot and easily sold on ebay or craigslist.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts