Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about my trolley

how can I delay the time the trolley stays at each point?
can a relay or automatic resetable breaker be used to keep the trolly at each station ?.........Mike

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Conventional, command? How is the trolley controlled now?[/quote

this one is conventional, its just a point-to-point,with the switches on each end,that change the direction back and forth,I just want to make the trolley stay at each end station longer,for a more life like action.

MTH #30-4191.....................Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think that I know what you mean, there are a few things that will do this for you, just look up auto reversing kit for HO, I would assume that it would work the same way.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
do you mean like insolated block track? ..............Mike
Yes, have one on each end with block signal. The lever adjusts the time in waiting. That's the way to do it with an AC motor. In DC I use a timer to reverse polarity and diodes isolate the blocks at the ends.

I have one block in front of a station with a block signal to let passengers off and on. With a reversing trolley you can do that at each end.

I have never seen a bumper at the end of a track rigged to a relay. I suppose that is possible. Mount a miniswitch inside the bumper. HMMMMMMMM.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you want station stops in the middle of the trolley run, or just a pause at the reversal point?

I think we need a clear statement of the requirements so we can recommend solutions. :)
no ,just at each end,at the reversal point, as if to let people get on or off.
see, I have two of the MTH passenger plat forms with the disappering people,it would look like they got on or off the trolley,if it would sit still a little longer,its just a little more action on the layout,something alse to look at...................Mike

·
Admin
45,132 Posts
In that case, I think the previous posts probably address your question. You could also get creative and build a delay circuit in the trolley as well.

The old Lionel passenger Station with a delayed stop just sat on an insulated track and had a bimetallic strip that heated up when a train arrived to delay it a programmable amount of time. When the contacts closed, it applied power to the track and the train was once again on it's way.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it!! I used a Loinel 153 IR and a block track at each end,when the trolley passes in front or the IR sensor it cuts power,but the trolley still has enough forward speed to hit the bumper and switch direction where it waits for power to be restored from the IR timming out and its on its way again, the IR is adjustable form 0 to 20 seconds,not very long,but better than before :thumbsup: :D ............Mike

·
Admin
45,132 Posts
T-Man, when it gets to the other end, there would be no delay, since there's no power interruption to stop the trolley. It would just hit the bumper, reverse, and be on it's way.

I think I'd probably use a short isolated track section on each end to charge a capacitor across a relay, the end track would be powered when the relay was open. You could then make the delay as long as you liked by using a larger capacitor. To minimize the current through the track section, I'd probably use a Darlington transistor to actually switch the current to the relay & capacitor.

My only problem with this is I'd like the lights to be on in the trolley while it's at the stop. Perhaps LED lighting with a large cap would solve that problem as well. :)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
My only problem with this is I'd like the lights to be on in the trolley while it's at the stop. Perhaps LED lighting with a large cap would solve that problem as well. :)
Batteries. :laugh:

You can tell I am not familiar with the detector.

·
Admin
45,132 Posts
The IR detector is just like a 153C, it simply detects an object on the track at one location. For Mike's application, he wants the delay at each end.

I'll take the batteries as it was intended. ;) I'm guessing a large enough cap with a few LED lights would keep the lights on for the stop. That would make the trolley operation a lot more realistic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts