Model Train Forum banner

Question about Tortoise Slow motion switches

1366 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  tworail
Hello everyone, I am hoping someone here can give me some information about a box of Tortoise Slow Motion Switch Machines #800-6000 that someone brought to my store for us to consign on Ebay.

I am trying to figure out exactly what they are for or what they do. I am sure I can list them for just what they are, but just for my knowledge, I would like to know exactly what they are for and what they do. Thanks so much, in advance for any info and I apologize if I am in the wrong forum category for this question as I'm not sure as to where to post this question. Thank you again,
1 - 3 of 8 Posts
Hi Zwibby,

They are slow motion switch machines used for model railroads. You would take them and place them underneath your train layout (called benchwork or a baseboard) so they are hidden from view. With some simple switches and an electrical feed they can be made to work. This particular product does as it's name - moves switch points in a slow and realistic fashion - much like how real world switches operate.

Does this clarify things any?
A turnout is used to divert tracks from one place to another:

See wikipedia :)

The tortoise machine is the device that moves the turnout points from one side to another.
I think probably she was viewing the gallery.. of which there is quite a variety of pics there :)
1 - 3 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.