Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here and planning a small 4x7 track with a slot car track in middle. Any suggestion or ideas. The track will branch out in the middle to cross over the slot car track. Not sure what I will be doing, My son Tucker who is 5 loves train and so does Dad. I originally had the slot track and acquired the HO scale tracks. My mind is going on overdrive and think I'm overdueing it a little bit. What should I start out with for a layout. That will be enjoyable for my son and what are some DIY landscaping ideas. Any ideas who be great. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
layout

Yea I will do one thing at a time. Will start with basic oval. Purchased ABC of model railroading heard it was one of the best books about info for the newbies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the same book, Tucker. One really good thing about it is it breaks everything down in really easy to follow instructions. Even I can figure it out...:D .

I've read all your posts and like the idea you came up with about puting the slot car track in the middle of the train layout. Getting your son involved in this hobby is great. Got me thinking the same thing. My oldest son is 6 and would love to get into something like this. It can give him a chance to get away from his 2 younger brothers (1 and 2)...lol.

It seems as though you and I might be at the same level of experience here. I haven't built a layout yet but have done a bunch of reading. I'm fairly certain I can get a layout going once I get the space to put it. I might just put a small one together on an old hollow-core door. Once this gets started I'll keep ya posted and maybe we can share some "newbie" ideas. Could be interesting to see if they actually work...:eek:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
This post is about 2 years too late, but might help someone who has a similar problem, today. Tucker mentioned HO scale for both his (auto) slot track and his model railroad. HO for autos is not the same scale as HO for trains. If comparable size is important to you, S scale trains correspond to HO scale slot racing or Matchbox cars. HO trains are too small, in comparison, for the auto system.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,753 Posts
The cars are the same scale, but with a poetic license if they fit the track they fit the scale. Some of the earlier cars ( T jets) were closer. I haven't done the math. The cars did have to fit the motor.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts