Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Everyone,

As per the title, I have a question on this process.

I have two Railking engines, a 30-2327-1 Montour SW9(PS2-5 volt) and a 30-20286-1 CP Rail(PS3). With a little work I have swapped the Montour shell onto the PS3 chassis and the CP Rail shell onto the PS2 chassis. I would prefer to have the original Montour sound file from the old PS2 chassis installed into the new PS3 chassis(and vice versa). Reason being the original Montour sound file has specific sound and dialog pertaining to actual Montour activity & locations, while the CP Rail is just generic sounds. This is where my question comes in. There is no sound file on the MTH website for the original Montour chassis that can be downloaded. From my limited understanding of the file downloading process, it is suggested that the old sound file from the chassis be downloaded and "saved"(in this case the Montour sound from the PS2 chassis) on the computer. So once this is done, would I then be able to retrieve and download the old PS2 Montour sound file into the new PS3 chassis? I don't want the Montour sound file to end up "disappearing" into space so I figured I'd ask before we start pushing buttons on the keyboard.

I won't be doing the actual process, but a friend of mine will as he has all the equipment needed and has done a few sound file downloads before. But he has only used the existing sound files from the MTH website.

Any expert advice on this, please chime in. Thanks

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I will defer to the experts but thats how its supposed to work. Uploading a sound file from an engine to your computer saves it.
I just wanted to say to do this yourself you only need a serial cable and a computer with a serail port either RS232 or USB plus your TIU. If you have these items you have to downloard the DCS loader program from MTH and all the sound files you plan to download to your engines. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Pete

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
You can't do what you are describing. Only 3V sound files can be loaded into PS/3 boards, you'll have to get that sound file converted to 3V by MTH. Note that you should be able to contact MTH and get the 3V converted file.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Afternoon Guys,

Sorry about the delay in responding but today was doctors appointments day.

Pete, my buddy already has the setup to do this and I have no DCS equipment at home and don't really want to start purchasing it at this point. Your reply was encouraging until GRJ somewhat burst my bubble with his post a short time after yours.

Severn, I took a look at the website you referred to and WOW. That information is so far beyond my knowledge and understanding. It's for the computer/electronic type geeks who actually know what what he's talking about-which isn't me(LOL)

GRJ, you almost burst my bubble. So, who would I ask to speak with at MTH about converting the sound file to PS3?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GRJ,

Ok, thanks. I'll give MTH a call next week and see what they say. That is, if anyone's there working:)

Almost forgot. Looks like I won't be picking up my two 3RD RAIL Canadian Pacific 2-10-4's from you at York in April. Not in a hurry so you may as well keep them until the October York. Hopefully the virus will have run it's course by then.

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
I was going to ask about those as I don't have shipping boxes, and I'm a little reluctant about shipping brass, several damage issues lately. I try to pack them better than factory, but I guess the shippers try to break them better than ever! :eek::eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I was going to ask about those as I don't have shipping boxes, and I'm a little reluctant about shipping brass, several damage issues lately. I try to pack them better than factory, but I guess the shippers try to break them better than ever! :eek::eek:hwell:
Don’t blame you at all. I never ship brass engines. Too much to break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts