Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Atlas #52 switch machine from Ebay and it came yesterday...I tried to install it on an Atlas #800 switch and the mounting flange and holes don't line up properly...I there some kind of 'secret' code that you need to know to get the right switch machine for the right switch?? Are there different machines for the code 80 and code 100 switches??? :unsure:

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
You've kind of lost me here on exactly what your issue is. While I see the remote control turnout machine under that part number, I don't see a #800 turnout. Is it a code 100 snap switch? A picture or two would be very helpful in identifying the problem and correcting it.

My recommended solution would be to get rid of all Snap switches and Atlas turnout machines and use something of higher quality. But assuming you don't want to do that....

Those switch machines clip into the sides of the track, and that little control arm slides through one of the two holes in the raised nub on the throwbar of the turnout. Newer turnouts have a finer throwbar, but the principle is the same. But there are no holes to line up. You pull the manual operator off and install the remote switch machine.

Hopefully, you can either provide some photos, or someone more familiar with Atlas track products can provide more detail.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I ordered a Atlas #52 switch machine from Ebay and it came yesterday...I tried to install it on an Atlas #800 switch and the mounting flange and holes don't line up properly...I there some kind of 'secret' code that you need to know to get the right switch machine for the right switch?? Are there different machines for the code 80 and code 100 switches??? :unsure:
hershey2;

This will not answer your direct question. In fact, I don't know the Atlas product line well enough to answer it. However, I agree with CTValleys recommendation regarding switching to a better turnout & switch machine. So, if you aren't already committed to Atlas Snap Switch turnouts, the "All About Turnouts" file below will give you some alternative choices for better turnouts.

On the other hand, if you decide to stick with Atlas turnouts, the file "Improving Atlas turnouts" discusses the problems of their design, and some fixes for them.
Be aware that the Atlas "twin-coil" switch machine you ordered is the weakest switch machine on the market, and is also the reason behind many of the deficiencies in the Atlas Snap Switch design. That certainly doesn't mean that you can't use the Atlas switch machine, hundreds of modelers have, and many continue to do so successfully. It only means there are better switch machines, and turnouts, available for your consideration.
Also, Atlas turnouts can be operated by other brands, or types, of switch machine. . Three possibilities are the Tortoise motor, Switchmaster machine, or a remote, but manually-operated, device like my "$5 Switch Machine", a Caboose Industries ground throw, with a rod-in-a-tube extended linkage, and others.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan :)

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi hershey, the Atlas switch machines are designated and labeled for Code 100 or Code 83.
Just gotta get the one that matches your turnout...
I think the tie spacing on the tracks are different, so the switch machines won't clip in to the wrong track...
Take care, stay safe (y)
Cid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts