Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! I have what may be a silly question. Currently I am working on my first HO layout and this past weekend I bought a new Atlas DCC locomotive. Here is the thing: I want to test my new "ish" locomotive but the layout is not complete. Can I power up and address the loco even thought the track has not been fully connected? It is only half completed essentially having the track "open" on both ends.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
One other thing:

If you're going to be sending programming signals to the engine, make sure NO OTHER ENGINES are sitting on the track at that time. Otherwise you could end up with unintended consequences...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Actually it's not such a good idea to have "complete" loops in DCC. Putting in at least one gap eliminate the "looping" the DCC signal and for small loops still allows you to use on feeder. So the answer to your question about not having the loop complete is that your leaving them open is better than closing the loop!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.