Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
You know I'm totally ignorant of Lionel products, but they're similar to a lot of AF. The holes and notches suggest an operating car of some sort: a mail-slinger, baggage loader, or a stockyard that loads cattle---that kind of thing.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,564 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,564 Posts
that T-Man, could take that frame and add these to it(see pic), and make something cool!:laugh:

What say you, Bob?

Lionel 58 Street Light Posts Mint Org Brass Part 8ea

View attachment 3109
Did you get them off sirikie or someone off e bay?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
That's a good guess, T-Man: I'd forgotten about that car. Jim, the giraffe car is like a livestock car with a hole in the roof. The giraffe's neck and head protrude through the hole. When a point is reached on the track where a bar extends across the track overhead, the giraffe ducks his head to pass under it. Stands to reason the bar would attach to an activator plate in the track to yank the head down in time.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,892 Posts
Goof

Sorry guys, this morning I thought I made a post to update. I think it is the exploding box car. It came in three numbers. That is why the shell is missing.

The funny tabs hold something. it is not the giraffe car. You can place any shell on it . It must be a standard size.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
T-Man, how does it work? I've seen them in pics, but not in action. I read about one set where there was a gun that shot plastic missles and the car would explode on impact. Did they also have a "blow up when you arrive here?" type? I'm trying to account for the hole in the bottom.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Egg On Face!

# 1- I have that very car and never thought to look. It is longer than a standard boxcar(the extra frame), so it never crossed my mind.:eek:
# 2- The side that has the trigger touching has broken tabs. I've tried several times to make them with bondo/plastic.:eek: The replacement pieces won't hold. Might just glue it all together and use it for show:laugh:

Pics of my 6470 and the extra frame, and also a pic of the tabs. Circled ones are broken, arrows point to what they should look like.

View attachment 3116

View attachment 3117

View attachment 3118

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
6470 Exploding Box Car-repair

Since I had to dig the car out to check the frame, I decided to try, one more time, to do a, "T-Man Salvage Job" :D

I had a plastic cap sitting around from some piece of misc. outdoor seating. Having been admonished by Big Ed for throwing things away, I now have a box full of potential parts for repairing whatever!:laugh::laugh:

I thought that perhaps, if I could cut and shape it properly, AND, get something to keep it in place(J.B. Weld), it just might do the trick. It did!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

T-Man, Ed, thanks for the pushes in the right direction. The car now "Explodes" when I fire my rocket from my 6650 Missle Firing Car(if my aim is good:laugh::laugh:)

Pics of part and finish(looks messy, but I needed a solid base)

View attachment 3127

View attachment 3128

View attachment 3129

View attachment 3130

View attachment 3131

View attachment 3132

View attachment 3133

1 - 20 of 30 Posts