Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys it's time to brag. We seem to get a lot of questions on manufacturers.
So If you own some please brag or tell us what you think.I don't run HO or the other scales to be really informative. Engines and set questions are big. Show a picture on one, the interior would be nice to. I like to see the motors, no matter what scale. I think people are shying away from higher priced items and this is the way to show them what they will actually get. This is just a suggestion something that will hopefully add to the scales involved.

Second we get a lot of informative questions. So I ask, when YOU finally make a decision please give us the feedback. A lot of our posts have good suggestions but we never know what the outcome was.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not really but a personal opinion. You suggestions are all good. You could also include ac,dc motor, electronics, traction tire, reverse unit.Year made.
To date I have not seen a DCC engine, all I know is that it has IC chips. I am asking more of a presentation Show and tell. Outside is the show but the interior is the tell.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I think what T-Man is looking for is some feedback on what manufacturers are worthwhile to purchases, especially from a newbie point of view and some of the characteristics of those sets.

I myself have been out of the HO game for a long time but always thought that anything made by Athearn, Kato, Proto 2000 (Life Like) was good for engines.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes, and I agree. But, many get their initial set from Model Power, TYCO, Life Like and other not being of such quality. Does tht mean that they are lesser than those of us that have been in the hobby longer and have graduated to higher quality, and priced, equipment. I would just hate to see someone give up modell railroading because of comparisons to what some of us do own.

I mean personally, I have quite a few high dollar engines. That notwithstanding is not the path I would direct a newb to follow. I would have them buy a quality set. Bachman Premier, Atlas, Atheran. Many come with modular track(EZ Track and such). Not the best by any means. But, it would allow them to see if the hobby is something that they would wish to pursue. I am hard pressed to suggest Model Power, Life Like and such. But, if that is what the pocketbook can afford so be it.

I just do not want anyone that is beginning to feel ashamed that their first set is not up to the standards of some. To me, it's taking that first step. If a newb gets a setup and has engine trouble, I'd be pretty willing to send them an Athearn Blue Box GP. They would have to pay shipping, but if helps to get them hooked, I'd be there to support their addiction.

But, let me also say, that if one wishes to get started, I would look no lower in quality that Athearn Blue Box. The quality and detail is there and the price point is rather good.

Just my $.02.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My point is to take the "suggestion to buy" one step further. For example to suggest an Athearn Blue box is one thing but it would be better to actually show one and comment. If you don't have one it's one thing, but if you do, it is always nice to see What it actually is.
The other example is a beginner DCC engine. People are curious but shy away when they see the price.
It would be nice to see what makes an Atlas, Bachmann, Kato, Proto, Athearn, without the shell or label I could not tell them apart. Sometimes I wonder if there is a differrence.
I guess what It comes down to is that I like to see the guts, shells do not impress me as much.Then again I don't have an interest in buying new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts