Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get up the nerve to paint the Lionel 204 & 218 Diesels. Other than the decals, there is quite a bit of area that has adjoining color schemes. I'd really like to do a nice job on these and have several questions.

-they've both been stripped, sanded(heat stamp areas), but not primed. I replaced the plastic apron on the 204(perfect, plastic, replacement piece!) The 204 shell is black, the 218 is light grey.
-do you use a specific primer color based on the finish colors?
-do you paint the primary color, then mask it off and paint the secondary colors?
-where the colors meet on the 218, the decal separates the two areas. how do you eliminate a "ridge" where they meet?
-I may have to make my own stencil for the nose of the 204. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your past and future help:D

Jim

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Nice looking engines, Jim! It's a shame they're three-railers.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's not be "cruel!" We have brothers and sisters out there that are less fortunate, and we should be "Kind!:D"

·
16,666 Posts
And can the rest of the world ?!?!?

Hey Jim,

You've got your work cut out for you with that "curved paint line" Santa Fe repaint. Better you than me ... I'd certainly flub it, for sure.

That said, my only (naive) suggestion ...

When masking off paint areas, I've always had much better success with the crispness of the edge by removing the tape as soon as possible after painting, even if the paint is still wet. I've found this helps to avoid crackled edges, ridges, and even some bleed-through.

How are you gonna tackle taping along those vent ridges? (As I said ... better you than me!)

Keep us posted!!!

TJ

PS -- A couple of other thoughts re: TAPE ...

Make sure you use a top quality tape. Lots of people use the 3M "blue stuff" available at Home Depot and the like. But you might see if they -- or perhaps a marine supply store -- carries the 3M "green stuff" ... a bit gentler on peel-up. Or maybe you have your own preference for tape type?

See ya!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now i am no expert (by a long shot)! But have you considered the printer as a template? I use HO scale so a little easier for me, but you only need the part u are painting at the time. A 100% copy, cut line, tape, paint?
Do this with old hotwheels for the grandkids when they want "customs"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts