Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the train station this morning. I had recorded the commuter train going by. After that a West Coast Express security personal came to me asking what i was doing and what for. he said that some commuters have complained about me taking photos and video of the train and them in the background. I told him I was making videos of the trains going by and that it was for Youtube.

It's like they have never heard of a train enthusiast before.

What is this world coming to?? Anywhere I go that has to do with trains I'm being watched like a hawk. I thought the security person was gonna ask for my camera..or something. And with 'no trespassing signs' and cameras everywhere..I can't go anywhere without being nervous.

This is my rant of the month.
Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was told once not to ride my bike on the platform..lol

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
I have taken videos of fraight trains with no trouble. The only passanger train is at 3:00am so I wont be taking pics of it. No one has said any thing about my photo's of the light rail.

John

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember there being any security at the station.
I don't have any problems with taking video of freight trains,
becuase the security are only at the station during early
morning hours and evening hours.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,651 Posts
Interesting problem. I would think it is legal to take pictures of a public place. Private property is a different matter. That's how the paparazzi get away with it. Normally I try to avoid people in my way when picture taking trains. I don't use a flash. I know schools are now different. Parental permission is required for use of student pictures in school.
Then again it is different if you are recording a train at a stop with passengers. People are sometimes paranoid of private detectives in bigger cities. That's the stuff suspence novels are spun off.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't take photos often and I don't use flash either.
i guess I'm done with the commuter rail, I have plenty of video on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I took my trip along the Clinchfield some months back. I had asked at the CSX headquarters in Erwin, TN, if I could get a map of the right-away for my research. They all gave me a weird look, and then quickly told me NO, lol.
I guess a guy taking pics at the train yard and asking for maps wasnt exactly the thing to do. LOL
Like you, I was just having a ton of fun, and making the best of my railfanning.
Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts