Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the movie The Train starring Burt Lancaster; the setting was during WWII and he was trying to derail the German officer stealing art works from the French.

One thing stuck in my mind is that they used lag screws and steel wedges to fasten the rails to the ties. Burt had to unscrew these lag screws to remove rails to derail the train.

Here in the USA I thought the rails were always spiked down to the ties; that is what you see in the movies.

Seems that the lag screws would have been a better method. Any comments? Yeah I know this doesn't refer to HO gauge, but ....

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
That was European practice for a long time and one of the reasons purists reject good track like Peco because of its distinctly European look. My eyes don't see that far so I lose very little sleep over my Peco turnouts...:D

·
16,666 Posts
Keen eye there, Bob. Speaking of "The Train", check out a recent thread that we had on people's all time favorite movies, including a few train-themed movies.

Shaygetz -- spot on!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Best Train Movie? You Betcha!

I'd stick my neck out and say Yeah...."The Train" is the best! John Frankenheimer and Burt worked on a lot of movies together and this was the Hardest film for both director and star. The Nazis have occupied Paris for years and now in 1944 as the Allies close in and chaos reigns An enterprising officer Paul Schofield(he is great) is taking the French National Heritage(its art work) back to Germany as means to extentd the War effort and get praise from Hitler. Enter our hero Burt and his dwindling team of railmen who work for the French resistance. Burt...a former trapeze artist(see circus) did his own stunts(see Papa Boule kick him off a speeding train as the British bomb the railyard) he tore a ligament in his knee so the had him shot in the leg to account for the nasty limp he had in the latter part of the movie. There is a scene with a British Spitfire straffing Burts speeding engine ,that they have to replace another in a terrific crash) as they reach a tunnel and after the plane leaves one of the stokers lays on the whistle inside the tunnel as a "sign of frustration with everything that has happened. This film is incredibly tense as it is deftly handled by Frankenheimer. Talk about attention to detail Lancaster actually handles the controls in the above mentioned scene and in another helps repair a drive rod on an engine. Heck of a movie and EVERYONE should see this film....impressive!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Burt Lancaster is Tough!

Hey TJ,
I have it on VHS and have worn it out! The movie is based on the True story of the French Resistance stopping an Art Train headed for Germany! Action packed and GRITTY to the max. Gotta be my favorite Lancaster flick next to "The Proffessionals" and thats another good flick!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Good Pickup OB!

Hey Old Bob,
If you hadn't picked up on the different rail tie down I wouldn't have started rambling about this film. I think I will be picking it up on the Net and hopefully there are some sidetracks into the making of this film. And thanks for the Siskel and Ebbert :thumbsup: Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts