Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rail king MTH SD70ACe with Proto-Sound 3.0, Dont know what happened./ but as soon as the transformer is plugged in. the engine moves for a bit. and then the transformer reset pops. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Sounds like a short somewhere. You need to track down where it is. Are any cars derailed? If so, rerail it and run the trains. If not, start by removing the engines and cars from the tracks. Does the breaker still trip? If so, fix your wiring, or track or see what else could be causing the short.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lehigh74,

Just got the engine alone on a short piece of straight track to test it. as soon as the breakers reset it goes. Remote is having no effect

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
What transformer are you using? What DCS system are you using? TIU and handheld? Does the breaker trip when nothing is on the track?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
54 watt output transformer, hand held remote. No, breaker is fine with nothing on the track Seems like its in the engine, but it is stored all year and comes out for Christmas.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Let's restate what you have found:

You have 54 watt transformer with a remote control.
When transformer is connected to track with no train
the breaker does not activate. Track not shorted.
With Loco on short test track the loco runs. Loco not shorting.
When loco is on main track, breaker trips.

When loco is on main track (where it trips breaker) are there
other cars on that track? Are they lighted?
Have you carefully inspected track to ensure that there
are no tiny metal particles, that all joints are correct
and that the wires from the transformer to the track are
not shorting?
Remove all loco and all cars. Raise speed control
to midway. If no short, then use your hand to press
down on the track joint by joint. If any press
results in a breaker trip, there may be the problem.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DCS Commander, Loco shorts on test track too. Runs about 5' and trips breaker, again no input from remote

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
So, you have 50-1033. I’m not familiar with that as I have the TIU and handheld remote.

With my system, sometimes a loco will not see the watchdog signal and will start up. Rarely (especially if power is briefly interrupted) it will start to run. To regain DCS control, one must push the START UP or SHUT DOWN button.

I attached the manual for your system. Assuming you followed the directions (hooked up right, good batteries in remote, lights on receiver and lock-on are lit), with the engine not on track, aim the remote at the receiver and push the SU/SD button to make sure the receiver light blinks. Now try it with the loco on track and as soon as it starts, try pushing the SU/SD button to see if you regain control with the remote.

It is possible that a wire from the pickup is shorting on the loco frame. I had that happen to me once. If the breaker trips when the loco enters a curve, that would make me lean in this direction. You can remove the shell and see if insulation has worn off any wires. Check for any arc marks. Run it without the shell and see if there are any arcs.

50as10109i_DCS Remote Commander 2017.cdr (mthtrains.com)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts