·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Hmm. I would assume most would, but I've actually never tried mine on them

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lee and Bob. I had read an article about them and it said 031 curves. After your response and more research, it seems it would be fine. I did not realize that they have been around for twenty uears. I am old school or just old. I will have to shop around and find one. Thanks again and stay safe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have just got mine recently. PS-1 freight sounds and I have 5 of them. I switch box car bodies
to make different road names.

·
Admin
44,020 Posts
Sound cars have been around since the 90's, they disappeared from the catalog for a spell and then came back with a vengeance. I think my favorites are still the Vision Line Ethanol Tank Cars, they had more unique sensors to actually change the sounds on curves, etc., very clever. As it always seems, Lionel got cheap and removed the angle sensors that gave the tank cars their personality and went to sounds that appear to be someone inside the car with a sledge hammer!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have experience with :
Lionel Train REA Boxcar with Steam Rail Sounds 6-16649 ?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Sound cars have been around since the 90's, they disappeared from the catalog for a spell and then came back with a vengeance. I think my favorites are still the Vision Line Ethanol Tank Cars, they had more unique sensors to actually change the sounds on curves, etc., very clever. As it always seems, Lionel got cheap and removed the angle sensors that gave the tank cars their personality and went to sounds that appear to be someone inside the car with a sledge hammer!
Yep, I have a few of the early ones, diesel or steam in traditional size boxcars. Used them originally to tag along with Postwar locos or MPC locos. The early ones were more of the locomotive sounds made by diesels or steamers. Since then I have accumulated a few of the modern versions with screeching or banging sounds made by rolling stock.

Bill

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I have a few of the early ones, diesel or steam in traditional size boxcars. Used them originally to tag along with Postwar locos or MPC locos. The early ones were more of the locomotive sounds made by diesels or steamers. Since then I have accumulated a few of the modern versions with screeching or banging sounds made by rolling stock.

Bill
Thank you Bill. I will continue to shop for the newer version.
David

·
Admin
44,020 Posts
Does anyone have experience with :
Lionel Train REA Boxcar with Steam Rail Sounds 6-16649 ?
I've seen several varieties of these from the 90's, it all depends on what you want it for. The 90's versions were steam or diesel sounds and meant to run with a locomotive that didn't have sound. The newer ones are intended to make more "rolling stock" sounds as it's assumed most of the locomotives already have sound.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen several varieties of these from the 90's, it all depends on what you want it for. The 90's versions were steam or diesel sounds and meant to run with a locomotive that didn't have sound. The newer ones are intended to make more "rolling stock" sounds as it's assumed most of the locomotives already have sound.
Hello Gunrunnerjohn, All of my trains are postwar(2026,2035,2046,218) without the new electronics. I would like to find a steam railsound boxcar that I can use. It seems that it will need a controller to activate. The more sounds would be nice if it is available. I have watched videos with track, brake, wheel sounds. I don't know if the newer versions with chug and talking would work on my postwar trains. Thanks for any advice.

·
Admin
44,020 Posts
Running conventional, whistle and bell are all the controllers you have. Although I've had a couple of them in the past, I don't currently have any of the steam or diesel sound cars, I have a bunch of the more modern stuff like the Vision Line Ethanol Tank Cars, Vision Line PFE Reefers, and a couple of the REA sound boxcars from recent catalogs. The 90's steam boxcars did have chuffing, whistle, and bell.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received late yesterday a new in the box 1991 B&O steam Railsound boxcar. Hope to get it on the layout Tuesday and try it out. I feel very fortunate to find a NIB with controller and all the paperwork !

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I also have a B&O boxcar with steam sounds, whistle and bell. No special controls needed, just the whistle and bell buttons. Not what the person with the latest equpment wants but enough for my post-war and Williams locos.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
  • A Railsounds box car is my next big purchase.

·
Admin
44,020 Posts
If you can't find one of the older ones, you could put something like the ERR RailSounds Commander in a boxcar with a reed switch and magnet on a wheel to "roll your own" RailSounds boxcar. Obviously, you'd need pickup rollers on the trucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts