Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I know nothing about trains. I am helping my father in law install railroad flashers. We purchased Evemodel JTD877RP railroad flasher kits and wired them as instructed but they flash erratically. To make things stranger, if I place my hand across the circuit it flashes as it should. Basically I am adding my body resistance to the circuit in order to make them work properly. There is a resistor already attached to the flasher but I am wondering if I need to somehow add a lot more resistance. Please advise.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not a lot of info, Don ('tknowtrains), but... what voltage are you connecting them to? Is it for sure DC and not Accessory AC? What value resistor did they supply, and do you have one resistor for each set? What exactly do you mean by "place my hand across the circuit" ?? We all want to help u out but it's not a lot to go on... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the instructions, they are supposed to be connected to the DC side of your train power supply. The resistor that came with the light is a 10,000 ohm if I am reading the color code correctly (Brown, Black,Red bands on the resistor). The power supply 's putting out around 12v-17v. If I hold the wires on the power supply with my fingers, everything works perfectly. If I connect them and remove my fingers, they just flash insanely fast. These flasher circuits really didn't come with clear instructions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction l, it came with a 1000 ohm resistor to make it compatible with 12-18v systems. The crazy thing is for we hook up a 6v battery it works fine.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Do the instructions indicate if what you describe should occur, to install a ceramic disc capacitor across the power supply leads close to the flasher circuit?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I would wire a disc capacitor of nearly any value across the power supply leads before they connect to the circuit board of the flasher and see if that calms them down a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am using the same flasher kits on 5 volts dc. The instruction sheet specifies supply voltage between 9 and 16 volts. I tried 12 volts but found the flash rate way too fast. I ended up connecting a 2700 ohm resistor between the circuit board positive supply voltage terminal and the plus lead of the power supply which is a cell phone charger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts