Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was up in the third floor and ran trains - set up and ran my entire layout, for the first time in over four months. When my wife died I just lost interest in them. I can't explain why but it was like a switch went off. Months went by without my even going up there. Rats could have set up shop in the layout, for all I knew.
But my oldest boy and his family are coming tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and my grandkids, who I have not seen in several years due to my late wifes long illness, asked their dad if I still had my trains. Last time they were here they loved the trains . . . My son told me they were looking forward to them again. So I spent yesterday up there. There were no rats nests - nothing to be concerned about. I did have to vaccuum dust off of everything, and I wore out two track erasers hand polishing three hundred plus feet of track, then servicing and setting up locos and trains. All three I am running are are LC+ locos so the grandkids can run them with the remotes.
What is good about a layout and model trains is, except for the track tarnishing a bit, and the locos needing oil, etc., it all works even if left alone for months. Everything worked, even the operating modified slots car street system I made.
I must admit it was fun this morning. Although I do not feel as much enthusiasm as I once did for them, they are fun, and I did look at the back quarter of the layout, which is all torn up in anticipation of re-doing the south end of my downtown area, and think "that might be fun." So, I will be running trains alot this week I think, and maybe, over the winter, rebuilding upper Main Street area, and Detective Avenue again.
Train Transport hub Toy Building Rolling stock
Building Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

· Registered
5,797 Posts
Good that you are having fun with the trains. Running the trains for kids and seeing their joy/enthusiasm is one of the best parts of the hobby. My granddaughter will be here on Thursday. She is only 11 months old, but I’m looking forward to getting her trained up.

I think we have all missed the threads on your innovative projects.

Just curious. Was your wife into the trains? Mine is indifferent at best…except when kids come to see them.

· Premium Member
246 Posts
I'm glad to see you're back to the trains again Lee. It's hard for me to imagine what I'd be doing in a similar circumstance, but hopefully family will help ease the pain a little.
What he said . . .

I was saddened to hear of your wife's passing, Lee, and could certainly understand your loss of passion even for a pastime that has obviously given you a lot of joy over the years. Being relatively new to the forum, I stood by silently as you recounted your loss in earlier posts, but privately I hoped that, with the passage of time and the support of your family and friends, you might eventually be able to re-engage. I'm glad to see that that process has brought back some of the enjoyment and passion you've evidently had for the hobby (and by the way, based on the photos, asking if Grandpa "still has his trains" takes on a whole 'nother level of meaning in your family! ;)👍). Good luck over the holidays, and welcome back to your layout!

· Registered
3,597 Posts
Glad to see you're getting back into your trains after your wife's passing. My wife of 53+ years died 19 months ago and your description of it being "like a switch went off" is so true. Just take things a day at a time and with the support of family and friends you will adjust to the new normal.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Lee I lost my wife 7 years ago. What you described is exactly how felt since she was just involved as I was. Took me the better part of a year before I could even go into the layout room in my basement. At some point I eased back to it. Even that was tough since she had done a lot of the scenery. I gradually got to the point where I decided me staying away from the trains was definatlt not something she would have been happy with me doing. Now I look at what she did and it just gives me fond memories and I like it.
Sorrry for your loss.

Kenny

· Registered
94 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear of your wife dying. Sometimes, when things get rough, finding the motivation to carry on is a tall order. I am happy to hear that you have relatives that share your interest in trains. I hope that your Thanksgiving is a good one.

· Registered
349 Posts
What a relief to see you post again and know you are doing OK. It's all about the grandkids and you know your wife would've been overjoyed to know they were having fun with gramps and his trains.

So glad to see this post. It was a gut punch to us all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts