Model Train Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
6,994 Posts
Lee, glad you are back to your trains. Yes, losing your wife changes everything. My wife died 7 years ago like Kenny's wife. Nothing is back to normal. She was my fishing buddy. The boat and me have not been back on the water since. She was not my train buddy. She just tolerated them. She loved Christmas, I have not had a tree up yet. I do not celebrate any Holidays. That was her thing. I really miss her Thanksgiving meal. I just do not do cooking. Sounds like I am depressed. Nope, Holidays are a little rough but most days are
not a holiday. And am doing fine on those days. Lee, hope you are doing fine. You have a great stable of locomotives and a nice layout. Enjoy them.

· Registered
175 Posts
My deepest condolences to those of you who have had terrible losses. Unfortunately later life is rife with them. I do hope everyone can find some small joy in the holiday, even if it is only going for a walk and appreciating the brisk fall air.

For those who cannot find some pleasure in most days, please do consider talking with a physician to be evaluated for depression. It is very common in life, and there is no shame in admitting to what is happening. Help is available and suffering can be mitigated in almost all.

I am thankful for many things this Thanksgiving, despite the usual aggravations and reminders of old age. I am thankful for the companionship of the internet, like this forum, because it allows people to connect and share in ways that were not possible in earlier eras. Godspeed all.

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
An event such as the one you have experienced, puts everything into a different perspective. Suddenly you realize what was, and is, really important In your life.

Moving away from pleasurable pursuits isn’t unusual. Whether you chose to become active with them once again or not, it is a sign of realizing that things unfortunately change and you learn to cope with the “new normal”. You may find a new passion.

Take your time coming back. Don’t force yourself right away. We all miss you, but the important thing is to be healthy and eventually happy again. It will hurt as long as it needs to…

Tom

· Premium Member
10 Posts
This thread right here is why hobbies are and always have been such a crucial part of young men's lives. These groups are full of people without pretension and really comfortable in who and what they are, and ALWAYS incredibly supportive. So sorry to hear about your wife's passing Lee. Hope your model RR brings a smile to your face again.

· Registered
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, Thanksgiving is over at the Willis household, at least for this year. It was good to see my oldest boy and his wife, but its the grandkids I seldom get to see - the parents often stop by when they travel on business. The grandkids I almost never see. I got to spend a morning at a bookstore with my 14-year old granddaughter which was truly magical. She loves science fiction, as do I (at least when it is good), and we spent an hour browing the sci-fi section and talkong about our favorite authors, and then nearly two more hours in the coffee shop section just talking about books. She never got to see my trains and I don't think she really was that interested. The next day she went off with her Mom, aunt, and various other women to visit wineries, while the buys all came over here, and played with the trains and then watched the World Cup.
My 12-year old grandson and his father were delighted to see the trains and to each grab a LC+ remote and control one of them for a while. Botht hought the train room was just fantastic, with its wall to wall shelves of trains, and all the trains running. My grandson has an eye for detail, like his great grandfather-- my Dad - did. He said he like running the train but loved just exploring the layout with "all the tiny detail." He caught a lot of it too, from a law office with his Uncle's name on it downtown, to the building with his Dad's business on it, to the Mama Bear and cub out in the rocky stream, fishing for salmon . . . to the people at dinner in the rooftop restaurant above the Woolworths downtown. He did ask me what a Woolworths was, which made me feel very old . . . So the trains were a hit. We had a good afternoon with them.

· Registered
5,145 Posts
. . . to the people at dinner in the rooftop restaurant above the Woolworths downtown. He did ask me what a Woolworths was, which made me feel very old . . . So the trains were a hit. We had a good afternoon with them.
I recall eating banana splits at the Woolworth's snack bar in late 8th grade. I can't recall whether I read or heard this, but a gent relayed his senior moment when he overheard a young lass say to another: "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before wings?"

Hmmm ... maybe a new Union Station thread ... Senior Moments. It'll hurt but could be fun.

· Registered
2,719 Posts
I can't recall whether I read or heard this, but a gent relayed his senior moment when he overheard a young lass say to another: "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before wings?"
There's a twenty-something at work that is a Beatles nut. Baffles me. Like most any "rock" band they have 2 or 3 songs that are ok, but I would never punch them up on the juke box.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts