Model Train Forum banner

1 - 40 of 1152 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an idea. A Random Act of Kindness "auction".

Now we have all heard of the saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure". And I'm sure that we all have "junk" laying around in closets, on shelves, in boxes.......

Here is my idea. We start a "barter auction" passing each bid on to others. Here's how it works. Member "A" puts something up for "auction". Member "B" bids by putting something of more or equal value as a "bid" taking what Member "A" has offered. Member "C" bids by putting another item and accepting Member "B's" offering. Working on a "first come, first serve" principle.

It is best explained by the term "trading forward".

Rules
1. Honesty and integrity is mandatory and non-negotiable. Anyone that breaks this code will be dropped from participating.
2. Shipping charges are paid for by the "buyer" unless otherwise offered by the "seller"..
3. Only actual shipping charges plus any special packaging costs(boxes, bubble wrap, ect) No added charges to make a profit. Afterall, it is a "random act of kindness".
4. All disputes will be handled between the parties involved.(See rule #1) The forum, or forum administrator/moderators, will not act as mediator or be held accountable. If no compromise can be met, the participating members will vote to settle the dispute. If it is decided that there is mitigating circumstances (See rule #1)
5. All items must be legal and train related. May be engines, cars, tools, track, or anything railroad.
6. Replacement offers should be close in value to the item claimed. If actual value is less one may offer free shipping.
7. Pictures to identify items and their condition is considered a best practice. Please post picture if at all possible.
8. Preferred shipping will be via a service that offers package tracking(USPS, FedEx, UPS). All "purchases" to be insured at the expense of the "buyer" and figured into the shipping charges..

More rules may be added or existing rules revised as needed.

If there is enough interest, I will be willing to start the "auction" by placing an item for first "bid". Just let me know by posting.

Bob

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
That would be an interesting thing to see pan out...does member A wind up with the last thing offered after a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be an interesting thing to see pan out...does member A wind up with the last thing offered after a certain amount of time?
No. Member "A" is the starter. He can participate as the process goes along. But, he would not receive anything for being the starter. I guess all he would get is a "warm fuzzy" for knowing he started the process in motion. The reason I said I would start it out. I've got boxes, no, crates, of unused stuff. Time to clean house a bit.

The starter's participation further in the process would be as any other participant. If he wants something, he must "bid". Now, do not think that this is truly an auction. We will be trading forward. Not bidding as if a real auction.

Example, I put up a box of parts. You want them. You claim them and put something railroad up in its place. The next member claims them, puts something else in its place and so on......No real bidding per se. Just claim and replace.

Bob

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think that we should add a minimum post requirement? Say 25 post minimum to participate? It would add to the membership/participation on the boards and I'm sure tworail would love that.

tworail, please chime in here.

Bob

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Do you think that we should add a minimum post requirement? Say 25 post minimum to participate? It would add to the membership/participation on the boards and I'm sure tworail would love that.

tworail, please chime in here.

Bob
While not tworail, I would say that's a fair baseline to start from.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,430 Posts
It's a great idea. I would have to review my HO stuff. The only demand I know of is older engines for parts. I could not depart with my O junk!!!I mean parts.:rolleyes:
FYI it is called a PIF Auction Pass It Forward. I checked with the "One WHo is to be Obeyed".To quote Stumpole The British Lawyer.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK. Since this is my idea, I will start it off.

Please read the rules on page one. I'm sure that we may edit or add more as needed.

Here is what I am offering, (1) Bachman Santa Fe F7 diesel(Chrome and red Warbonnet). I can send along either horn-hook couplers or plastic Bachman EZ Mate couplers in brown, (1) SOO 40' Godola with horn hook couplers and talgo trucks, and (1) Santa Fe caboose again with horn hook couplers and talgo trucks. All is HO scale.Shipping will be a flat $7.50, USPS. They will have individual Athearn boxes to help protect them during shipment and for storage once they arrive.

Engine needs some track time. Ran just a bit slow until things started loosening up. Ran for about 10 minutes and did well in both directions. Cars are in good condition. No broken rails. Caboose needs a stack, but I will send one along.

Place your bid(replacement stuff) and PM me for my PayPal account.

Bob

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am takeing stationmaster offer.so now it's mine turn .I am offering
a amtrak loco. like this one,I dont know who it is made by,would have to say model power.mine has the same # 103. http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-SCALE-TRAINS-ENGINE-AMTRAK-F-2-MODEL-RAILROAD-LOCO_W0QQitemZ330310291139QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item330310291139&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:7|39:1|240:1318 bit mine looks a little diffent.it's a very good runner.also you will get 3 plate girder bridges 2 are Lackawanna RR,the other is NY central.also 1 brand new atlas rerailer and 2 brand new atlas dead-end uncoupler.one of the uncouplers is out of the package,I was going to use it,but change my mind.shipping will be $ 7.50.this is all HO scale,and code 100 track. the uncouplers are brass and the bridges are silver track.

Ron

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
I am takeing stationmaster offer.so now it's mine turn .I am offering
a amtrak loco. like this one,I dont know who it is made by,would have to say model power.mine has the same # 103. http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-SCALE-TRAINS-ENGINE-AMTRAK-F-2-MODEL-RAILROAD-LOCO_W0QQitemZ330310291139QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item330310291139&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:7|39:1|240:1318 bit mine looks a little diffent.it's a very good runner.also you will get 3 plate girder bridges 2 are Lackawanna RR,the other is NY central.also 1 brand new atlas rerailer and 2 brand new atlas dead-end uncoupler.one of the uncouplers is out of the package,I was going to use it,but change my mind.shipping will be $ 7.50.this is all HO scale,and code 100 track. the uncouplers are brass and the bridges are silver track.

Ron
Do you still have them? I would like them and I have some stuff to pass forward.

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will watch this thread - if anything comes up of personal need/interest, and I
think I have something I think someone would find of interest, I'll join in.
I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread till now. :confused:

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Thanks Ron.

I am going to offer people. I have lots of HO figures that I will never use. I will post some pics. as soon as I get them out of storage.

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Human trafficing!

I am offering humans. I have 6 boxes of people. Preiser HO miniature figurines. Four boxes are the same #283 There is one person missing out of each of the 283 boxes. Same person in each box. I wonder where he when? One box #58 and one box #26

The taker shall pay actual shipping, USPS.
Pay pal is OK with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
HO plastic wheels

Southern, hows it going? Been limited at how much time I have anymore on the PC, great to get some time to look again.

I dont need the People/figures, but I do have a ziploc back full of factory plastic wheels I will put up for this. I am going strictly with metal wheels and dont need them. A lot of them are Athearns, with metal axles/plastic wheels. Some have some minor rust on them, but I would say half are new.

LMK if interested.?
Kevin

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
I am going to keep the people.

how about some N scale trains?

I have 4 cars and a steam switcher.

if there is an interest i will post picks.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,430 Posts
Be careful what you ask for.

I do not know if the engine works I have no way to test it.

LOL Don't you mean you will wake up the wife if you run your trains?:laugh:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I'm offering a scratchbuilt/kitbashed HO scale model of a Coast Guard light tower with radio beacon. It comes with a razor wire fence, emergency power generator and a 3v flashing beacon. You can see how it went together here. It would be easy to add the impression that there is a inlet just out of sight on your layout on an unused corner. I'll cover shipping stateside.

1 - 40 of 1152 Posts