Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of these locos are obviously still in progress. The RS units nearly finished. The SD38-2 needs a bit. And the trio of C30-7s need quite a bit, including additional grinding of frames to fit the noses properly. As far as I know these are the only high nose C30-7s on the planet.
The hi-cube has a missing stirrup step on the opposite side. Rather fix it I’m going to flag it for repair when returned to CP and just run it as is.
The bay caboose still needs quite a lot of detail work plus decoder work. I’ve been having trouble with that aspect.
The structure is the beginnings of a scratch built coker unit for the Pennzoil refinery in Oil City. Overall dimensions are 12x6x20-24 depending on how crazy I get with the upper superstructure. It’s not based on anything found at that prototype refinery, but they look nice so both refineries will get them.
Train Plant Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle
Train Plant Rolling stock Vehicle Track
Train Wheel Vehicle Mode of transport Rolling stock
Train Vehicle Plant Rolling stock Track
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Toy Track
Train Land vehicle Rolling stock Light Track
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Window

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you planning on finishing those diesels? Handrails and such….
But of course.

Just for fun and squinting/steady hand exercise, this is a later era 1990s Ford Explorer company truck. I wanted to see if I could successfully model a McDonalds cup sitting on the dash. Easier to see without windshield glare. The flash light is scratch built from brass tubing.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The RSD5 still needs tichy grab irons (red), a correct cab-front mounted horn, firecracker installed, and a rerailer somewhere. I got the brake chains installed, and conductor Bruce Katona hung a Christmas wreath (scratch built) on the front.
Cutting mat Flooring Pattern Engineering Machine
Train Wheel Vehicle Cutting mat Rolling stock

The eagle eyed may have noticed a part “missing” on the nose of the SD38-2. Well, besides red grab irons etc.
Train Plant Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

That was for modeling the hatch open and sand valves slightly visible. (Will have a figure troubleshooting them).
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track
Train Toy Automotive tire Rolling stock Track

No idea what things in there actually look like on the prototype, but I’m happy with the result.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've been jonesing to get an early C-C diesel, then I found out Baldwin built an experimental A-1-A A-1-A road engine in the twenties (it broke down during road tests and they gave up on the project) so I'm probably going to look for a donor engine instead. The wheelbase is 12' with offset center wheels...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree. You have done excellent work. Your locomotives look like they just rolled out of the factory. After they build up some railroad grime on your mainline, only kidding, they'll look like the real thing. They stay clean and shiny for awhile then due to age and soot build up on the hood top and sides. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, because I've got lots to learn about painting model trains. I worked on the D&H Railway as a Locomotive Engineer. Most of our fleet had oil leaks and the trucks were weathered from picking up ballast dust. Alco's were the most notorious. They worked so hard and seldom got much chance to be cleaned unless they went in for a major overhaul. Keep up the good work. In my opinion you are an excellent model railroader.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thank you Johnccaravello,
Weathering is extremely easy to over do. Fortunately with mostly black bodies I can cover up too much rust i.e. with soot or even black paint. But while I like rust buckets here & there, wide spread neglect looks funny. I’m also mindful of age of the unit (since acquisition/paint), and the roster is small too, only about 16 locomotives so I imagine that’s fairly easy to stay on top of. So I kind of have the challenge of getting a variety of new & used, while mot making anything look too used and only 3 looking like brochure candidates.
The RS3 and RSD5 are, speaking in proto-freelance terms, former PRR units. There is a GP38 (former C&O if I recall) and rather new MP15(dc) that I haven’t posted photos of either as yet. The SD38-2M was new, but showing half a dozen years of hard labor. The three C30-7s were delivered less than a month before my official time of representation and then spent about 10-12 days in the OVR shops getting their noses modified, so they’re going to be rather immaculate looking as they’ve only been in service about a week. I’m in the market for a trio of Atlas/Kato RSD12s which also will be “original roster” like the RS3/D5 and actually a good deal more faded than anything outside of the OVR boneyard. In fact they’ll look pretty gray & cream versus black & yellow. Those three are about 24 months away from getting permanently parked. Two embargoes have been financially kind, out with the old, in with the new. It will be a nice visual contrast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts