Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a Rapido Amtrak F40PH Phase III, and am wondering what kind of passenger cars would be best to go with them. Price can be below $60 per car, but I am open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The F40's pulled everything and anything. I've seen them pushing amtrak MoW trains around, amfleet cars, old heritage fleets, and superliners. There's even a video of an F40 (west paint scheme?) pulling a phase III viewliner, so really, I'm not sure what isn't prototypical or couldn't have happened.

If you're really trying to go for realism though, keep in mind that the rapido model is a Phase I model, without ditch lights, so anything you put behind it will need to be from before ditch lights were made mandatory on December 31, 1997.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Not qualified to say what it should pull but the nice thing about our hobby is that you can use 'modeller's license' for it to haul anything and everything, as greenwizard88 suggested!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a Rapido Amtrak F40PH Phase III, and am wondering what kind of passenger cars would be best to go with them. Price can be below $60 per car, but I am open to all suggestions.
Do a Google search using "amtrak passenger cars" to see many many links to these cars. Also think about what era(s) & area do you want to model?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not qualified to say what it should pull but the nice thing about our hobby is that you can use 'modeller's license' for it to haul anything and everything, as greenwizard88 suggested!
That's the thing, I wasn't suggesting "modeler's license"! The F40PH was Amtrak's go-to engine between '75 - '92, and remained used in service into 2002. There's a video of a Phase III in 2002, so to be realistic, you're literally limited by Rapido's model to to anything that ran between 1975 and December of '97 (due to the lack of ditch lights on the model). More specifically, 1980 when the phase 3 paint scheme was introduced through the end of 1997.

A realistic passenger car would be anything in phase I, II, III, and IV paint.

Your best bet is to just pick a train and model it. Superliners, intercity, one of the long distance "Silver" trains, take your pick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Would Budd Cars in Phase III work with them? I think that would be a nice look.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Really, it's fine to be concerned with historical authenticity and to want to represent it on your layout, but may I suggest that if this is the case, you need to dig into the wealth of available materials and find the answer that suits you (ie, was it common practice, once in a while, etc) rather than relying on others. Little details that they don't care about may bug you no end, and vice versa.

If it has to be right, then you need to satisfy yourself that it IS right.

Conversely, if you think the Budd cars would look good, and you DON'T care whether or not it was prototypical, then why give a rat's butt what any of us thinks. Your layout, your rules.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
All of the Amtrak trains from New York and the North East to
Miami and Tampa ply the CSX rails through Jacksonville. You
see a mix of just about everything that Amtrak has. The
Auto Train uses the bi level cars while the Tunnels up there
limit the other trains to the cars with less height.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts