·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Astounding detail
Circa 1973-'77.
MSRP w/sound, $340.
Currently in pre-order status.

Getting a chance to handle and operate Rapido locomotives doesn't come along that often for me, but I recently watched a pre-production sample being debuted on the club layout (courtesy our 'Train Pimp').

The wide boxy safety cab takes a while to get used to, but it definitely has a certain appeal to it, and quickly grows on you (at least for me).

Detail, paint, lettering, lighting, sound, and operation were all top drawer.

I really have only one final thing to say...
If it strikes your fancy, and you can afford it, buy it.

I believe expected delivery is about December, 2020.

Rapido-News-119-10-M420.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With my 'era' theme home layout, (1940's to '60's) and with only a 5x10-foot landscape, my diesel roster is mostly single units, with a few pairs here and there... no real room for long trains or consists.

However, the club layout is huge, and long trains and locomotive consists are common.
I could never afford a pair of Rapido M420's. But a pair of Athearn GP38-2(W)'s are do-able. Even three, if I catch a good sale.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i've decided to expand my simple oval along a wall which would make it about 25 ft... yet even that is not that long really for that kind of long long train stuff. i could run a diagonal out into the room but then we have a hard time getting into the room. other than a temporary effort, that's not going to work.

or i could switch to n-scale!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Seven, why would you even bother, considering that your interest in another freight diesel is not that great for you right now.....?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Found a 'broken-box' Athearn CN GP38-2(W) w/sound for $219, and put it on layaway with a phone deposit, until I can track-test it (#4768).
Sixty bucks below MSRP.
Still expensive though. I've gotten RivetCounters for less.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You mean reply? Well I dunno maybe I was secretly hoping one of you lot would spark my interest. I actually am interested. I was fibbing a bit really. But again I'd like to see one in person. The last time I saw any Rapido engines in person was back just before m.b klein closed their retail side. I mean I did think about it the ... and there were some scaletrains there too before they parted ways. I think I just ended up with some couplers or something and tears in my eyes.... Alas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts