Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Circa 1923-1970's and beyond
Five schemes, 12 numbers each.

Superb detail, excellent paint & lettering, great rollers. Jury's still out on McDonald Cartier couplers.
Offered singly, or in 4-packs.
The first run is almost gone. Still available at some outlets and eBay.
MSRP, $50 ea., 4/$200... Four-pack is strangely not discounted.
I've not seen any on LHS shelves.
I've seen them for $37 each online, and $140 for a 4-pack.
Our 'Train Pimp' had a few. He sold out in 10 hours.
201812_rapidoxm_end.jpg
201812_rapidoxm_lead~2.jpg
np10522-1945-800px~2.jpg
np204801-1956-800px~2.jpg

Registered
Ok let me ask a dumb question. Does anyone offer box cars in HO in which the doors open?

I mean it's common in o gauge land. And I think I've a Tyco one that opens breakingly....

Registered
Ah I forgot they make them. But not a popular option. Also things like hopper doors could open. I mean again this appears in o gauge ville on some models.

But ho folks don't appear to have that much interest of an this kind of thing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Also things like hopper doors could open. I mean again this appears in o gauge ville on some models.

But ho folks don't appear to have that much interest of an this kind of thing.
Um... Operating doors & hatches are a bit more achievable on a scale that's twice as big!
Don't ya' think?

Registered
Ok let me ask a dumb question. Does anyone offer box cars in HO in which the doors open?

I mean it's common in o gauge land. And I think I've a Tyco one that opens breakingly....
A week ago I bought two Bachman boxcars HO that the doors slide open and closed. I will go look an boxes and post.
What does happen, going around track doors on inside open all the way and doors on outside close all the way. Just something I noticed.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Ah I forgot they make them. But not a popular option.
From what I've seen, it would take ScaleTrains, ExactRail, Tangent, and InterMountain combined, several more years to equal the current number of Kadee cars on layouts around the Country.

Registered
What I meant was it doesn't seem sliding doors, opening hatches and so on are very popular -- that is a selling point in ho. Which is just my perception. But to be fair I did a google search on it ... And did see a few things that have them as posted above. I think it'd be fun to see them also...if you you have them.

Registered
Doors and hatches in HO that operate have clunky, oversized door guides and hatch hinge points, and that is a turn-off to modellers that like scale size details.....operating HO equipment is more toy-like, and again, those that seek to have scale correct equipment shy away from those.....that's likely why most HO equipment is non-operating.....IMO, of course.....

Registered
That was my guess. And making them to scale adds a cost no one pays for. Although I'd like them but maybe not at $100 a box car.

Registered
As for the jury being out on the McDonald Cartier couplers, I'm wondering whose jury that would be......those couplers appear to be exact replicas of Kadee couplers, but painted/coloured in a brownish/rust colour.....at least on the one NP car I was able to get....

Registered
Some of Athearns RTR boxcars have functioning doors that look alright, but you have to open and shut them by hand.

Registered
Old Roundhouse and Athearn kits have operating doors. They're nowhere near as detailed as the cars in the OP. Often the doors are difficult to move and the slides/guides snap off easily. So best to set them opened, closed or somewhere in between and leave them alone.

Old and new Bachmann have operating doors.

I have some reefers that have operating doors and roof hatches/vents but I can't recall the brand ATM.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts