Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is, Rapido is announcing a PA, plus PA/PB sets.
Unfortunately, MSRP for the set is $625.

Transport Locomotive Vehicle

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I love PAs, but would never pay that much for them. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two club members have ordered PA/PB sets...
One set is SP Bloody Nose, the other is New York Central.
Over $1,200 worth of Oooo's & Ahhh's.
They haven't been delivered yet, but there's a lot of baited breath going around.
I'm particularly interested, because I've been told my Camel mail train will be an early beneficiary.
My E7 A/B's have been tasked with that honor thus far. But the prototype train was also headed by PA/B units.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I believe the delivery date is October. Has anybody heard anything sooner?

I am in the market for an A-B-A to use as power on my El Capitan or Super Chief. The way I understand it all units will be offer with choice of DCC and Sound or DC. I really wish I could get 2 of the three with just DCC and/or unpowered. But dummy units ar a thing of the past.

IMHO three sound equipped units on a single train running on a home layout is just too much noise!

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMHO three sound equipped units on a single train running on a home layout is just too much noise!
I agree!
Sadly, you're also right about dummy B's being extinct.
These are only being offered in DCC w/sound, or "D.C. silent" (both at the same price).
Rapido's promo ads give the vague delivery date as "Fall of 2020". That could evolve to early 2021.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

Turn the volume down.

Not a facetious answer either - the volume on sound decoders is often set at like 100% from the factory and really needs to be dialed back so you really only hear it if you're within a few feet, not across the room.

This improves both the noise level (especially with multiples) and also the sound quality, since you're not blowing out the tiny little speakers in the locos.

Then, having multiple sound units should just sound like multiple units with the little subtle notes of the different engines being out of sync - and different engine noises if you have models of different builders. Having more of them shouldn't overpower, just provide a mix of sound.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reduce the volume on just about all (98% or so) of locomotives out-of-the-box. Even steamers.
A Bowser and two Atlas diesels didn't need sound reduction, but almost all others did.
Every YouTube video review of sound equipped locos I've seen has the sound volume annoyingly loud.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although there's no rule forbidding it at the club, loud volumes are discouraged (there's even a posted sign about it).
Ten or a dozen locomotives running at the same time (especially if newbies are participating) can be a hideous experience if volumes are left factory-set... and especially if a switching operator is in love with a diesel horn!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Turn the volume down.

Not a facetious answer either - the volume on sound decoders is often set at like 100% from the factory and really needs to be dialed back so you really only hear it if you're within a few feet, not across the room.

This improves both the noise level (especially with multiples) and also the sound quality, since you're not blowing out the tiny little speakers in the locos.
I admit that I am less experienced than most of the HO guys in this forum, however, the CV's to adjust the volume was the first I learned. I run mine at about 25-30% of factory settings.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The SP took delivery of almost 3 dozen units, (mostly A's) all in Daylight paint.
They transferred some to the Cotton Belt and T&NO.
By 1959 all SP units had been repainted in Bloody Nose motif.

In the interim, a few units were adorned in "Halloween" black & red paint, and a couple were done in "Half Widow" (black, with a red side stripe and Bloody Nose wings).

The T&NO had several units, all lettered 'Southern Pacific', in Daylight paint.
The Cotton Belt had two units, lettered 'Cotton Belt' also in Daylight paint.

I have a promo photo somewhere, of a prototype A-B-B-A set in Daylight paint. The photo is cut off just behind a head-end Daylight baggage car.
Outlandish to say the least... that's a lot of orange to focus on.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The good news is, Rapido is announcing a PA, plus PA/PB sets.
Unfortunately, MSRP for the set is $625.

View attachment 516020
$529.99 @ Trainworld for PA/PB sets. (DCC/Sound) Still too rich for my blood. And just taking backorders. Nothing actually available. DC is less.
I get it, they are beautifully detailed and probably more true to the prototype than any in production so far.
An Athearn Blue Box set can fire my imagination as well as the Rapido, and will tolerate my clumsy old landscapers hands a lot better.
The hobby can’t be as bad off as some say it is if folks are plunking down that kind of cash for HO locos.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Walthers Mainline PA/PB sets
A much better deal.

$279 to $299.
I'll save up for a set of one of these, and possibly bash them into Southern Pacific.
Or even the Santa Fe would be appropriate for the Midwest... or possibly (a stretch) NYC for the St.Louis area.

Proto drives.
Very well detailed.
Factory installed handrails... Drill-points for adding grabirons with Walthers PA/PB Detail Kit.
Current Mainline is good stuff... ProtoMax couplers.

ModelTrainstuff:
(Scroll down)
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/trains/locomotives/diesel/pa-pb-series-alco/

TrainWorld:
https://www.trainworld.com/manufact...-alco-pa-pb-set-w-sound-dcc-santa-fe-53l-53a/

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Walthers Mainline PA/PB's are very nice.

Southern Pacific seems to have gone extinct.
But there are Santa Fe, NYC, and UP available at LHS's, online, and at eBay.
LHS prices are around $270 w/ESU & LokSound.

The UP version is stunning.
I may grab these.
Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Train Locomotive

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Does anyone know why they used the green on the top of the nose? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A club member occasionally brings his Walthers Mainline Union Pacific PA/PB set, and runs it with 24 MTH cars... baggage, coaches, sleepers, parlor and observation (all in Armour Yellow).
A truly stunning sight.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone know why they used the green on the top of the nose? :confused:
Not sure, but many photos show them that way.
One UP diesel color was called "suede", and might be the culprit.
In any case, this Walthers Proto shell clearly has a green hood-top.

Transport Vehicle Locomotive Rolling stock Train

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
Just to be clear, that version is a Lifelike Proto 2000, made before Walthers bought the Proto line.....the blue box is the give-away....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts