Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get an old rw transformer working. The 60 ohm resister across the circuit protector is broken, see pic. suggestions for sourcing replacement. Thx! im a newbie, so if I am using wrong terminology , and it’s not a resister, sorry in advance.

Automotive tire Circuit component Motor vehicle Electronic engineering Gas

·
Registered
233 Posts
It looks like from end blue,red,black,silver.
If so that's a 62 ohm 10% carbon 5 watt (by size). Very common, you could verify value with a multimeter on Rx1, one lead existing wire, other lead to center broken off piece in center.
It may be 2 or 3 watt, but plenty of room for 5 watt. Wire wound is fine. Any electronic supplier (Mouser, Digikey, etc., Ebay) would have it.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Lionel's service manual (attached) calls for a 50 ohm resistor of 2 - 3 watts for both the original wire wound and the alternate part. Hard to argue with the color code at 62 ohms.

I'd order a 5 W resistor. Digikey doesn't seem to have it or similar offerings. I did find These Resistors on Ali Express. But you'll have to wait for the "Slow Boat from China" to get them 3 to 6 weeks. It would be the same for similar eBay offerings that come from China. You can use the transformer w/o the resistor until you get it (obviiusly remove the broken part). Operating in like that and you lose the Red Bulb indicator iif the circuit breaker trips.

FYI: Black lampcord is hard to come by in the standard brick-n-mortar stores. But my local Walmart had 6', 16 gauge black lampcord extension cords in there "electrical department" for a buck two eleven ;) ... $1.67 IIRC. If you wanted to get rid of the white cord.

Welcome to the forum and good to see you restoring the older stuff :)

Product Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lionel's service manual (attached) calls for a 50 ohm resistor of 2 - 3 watts for both the original wire wound and the alternate part. Hard to argue with the color code at 62 ohms.

I'd order a 5 W resistor. Digikey doesn't seem to have it or similar offerings. I did find These Resistors on Ali Express. But you'll have to wait for the "Slow Boat from China" to get them 3 to 6 weeks. It would be the same for similar eBay offerings that come from China. You can use the transformer w/o the resistor until you get it (obviiusly remove the broken part). Operating in like that and you lose the Red Bulb indicator iif the circuit breaker trips.

FYI: Black lampcord is hard to come by in the standard brick-n-mortar stores. But my local Walmart had 6', 16 gauge black lampcord extension cords in there "electrical department" for a buck two eleven ;) ... $1.67 IIRC. If you wanted to get rid of the white cord.

View attachment 574650

View attachment 574650
thanks for info. The

View attachment 574650
thanks for reply and info. The download is exactly what I needed. The pics are great. Have lots to do on this old set, and enjoy learning. I also have two pinball machines I am gradually restoring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts