Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes. That is going to look good. You’ve got me thinking I might try it, but if I do I think I would use a Weaver. I could probably pick one up for less than a Railking.

One thing I noticed and it might be too late, but the NMn didn’t have windows on the ends.
Ahh! Your right. That is easily fixed! Thanks for pointing that out Bob!

I do have a spare Weaver caboose I may convert to wood. Some of the details and under frame of the MTH hack looked better to me For some reason…

That is going to look sharp!
Thank you Don!

Tom

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I do have a spare Weaver caboose I may convert to wood. Some of the details and under frame of the MTH hack looked better to me For some reason…
Tom
The MTH is definitely a better (more detailed) caboose. The Weaver has molded in handrails and the end rails/ladder are fragile.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The handrails will just be shaved off anyway. The MTH has wire grab irons and they just popped out and will be there to reinstall. I will have to make new ones for the Weaver caboose. The MTH arrangement was a better fit to my laziness….lol.

The ends are fixed! Once all the glue sets up and dries, I can go around and trim some of the uneven edges and then start applying edging and the roof. I just need to nip off the vent on the opposite end of the caboose from the stove pipe…

Tom

Light Wood Building Rectangle Toy

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just a quick update. Fitting various trim pieces and fitting the end pieces. I stink at fitting angles, so I will be doing some minor putty work. Roof fitting at the same time…

Tom

Wood Rectangle Machine Metal Engineering

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tom,
That looks great! I use the MTH castings for LV, they are nice castings. Can’t wait to see it finished.
Malcolm

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tom,
That looks great! I use the MTH castings for LV, they are nice castings. Can’t wait to see it finished.
Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm! No where near as nice as your work. This is my first time doing something like this. A lot of trial and error. My angles improved as I went along, as I started getting the process down.

I am debating adding marker light lamps, but the ones I want to use don’t seem available…

Tom

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I am debating adding marker light lamps, but the ones I want to use don’t seem available…
Tom
FWIW, the photos that I have of the NMn (builders photos from the book Reading Company Cabooses and the more recent one I posted to your C'mon guys thread) don't show any marker lights.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Cool. They aren’t mandatory, I was just interested in using the two light led markers from the original steel caboose. The steel caboose had a single marker at each end, built into the roof overhang. I eliminated the cast in marker at each end.

Here is a pic of a couple marker-less Reading hacks….

Font Gesture Pattern Art Slope

This is the photo I am working from, along with the blueprint Bob sent me…

Train Plant Rolling stock Vehicle Window

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cool project. .005 styrene occurred to me, but would probably deform with scribing. Got an Aug '78 RMC article around here somewhere with very similar Lehigh & Hudson River wood caboose drawings. Looks good with those LHR Alco 420s.
FW

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, I used .005 styrene for the roof and ended up doubling up on the layers. Scribing did make it more fragile.

I have a L&HR steel caboose. They had both NE cabooses built as wood and steel apparently….

Tom

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Crawling along, the basic paint has been applied. The black roof and roof walks are next.
I used Scalecoat II Chinese Red for the body. I have the ends painted now too. Drilling handrails will be next…

Tom
Wood Toy Red Rectangle Line

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cool! Thanks Chris.

I have a steel L&HR NE caboose, but I would like to give the composite version a try. This Reading caboose is more or less an experiment. I see where my weak points are and adjust my technique on the next one.

I couldn’t find Reading caboose decals, but I found a number of freight car decals of assorted sizes. Hopefully, the right size I need will be in there.

Drilling handrails and smoke jack installation are the next steps…

Looks like this now…

Kitchen utensil Cutting mat Rolling Wood Gas

Tom

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Don!

I have an old O scale Erie wood caboose kit and a kitbashed project of a O scale Shawmut caboose on the shelf. This should give me the nerve to get going on them!

Tom

Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Rectangle Art

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Trying to figure out why you had to re roof it. Did the styrene siding stick out beyond the sides of the original roof?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thank you John. The styrene siding was the best approach after all….

Trying to figure out why you had to re roof it. Did the styrene siding stick out beyond the sides of the original roof?
The original roof had rivets and edges that I sanded off. The overhang after the siding was applied, with the header board, left a seam along the upper edge of the siding. The best way to cover it was to apply another roof. I used thin styrene and it didn’t come out as well as I hoped.

But again, this is a trial by fire caboose. I am learning some good things as I build this…

Tom

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Tom, the Reading caboose came out great. What do you plan to pull it with? I picked up a Reading 2-8-0 at York I may be convinced to part with.

Pete

21 - 40 of 44 Posts