Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid just got the polar Express toy train set. It runs on plastic track powered by batteries. I know this is a toy but it is more like model trains than his other toy trains. Hes 3 and is having trouble getting all his wheels on track properly. Then I read about railers and re-railers. Unfortunately they don't seem to make it for this toy (which is silly since its marked as 4+ age).
So I need to fabricate my own. What is the best way to do this? Any design ideas? The intention is to help him place the engine and coaches on the track properly.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Yes, thanks, I just found that.
G scale, if he puts the train on using a straight it should be easy.
Don't try to put in on a curve.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
So from that video it won't run on G scale track.
The wheel set is a little larger then G scale, buying the re-railer would be a waste of money.

They say you can buy switches and more track, I would recommend 2 switches for a cutoff track. Just going around in circles would get boring after a while.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If one were so inclined you could use a dremel tool and slice it down the middle, then glue it back onto something wider. A construction shim comes to mind. Or, just make your own from scratch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not any regular scale. It needs specific tracks called " ready to play". It came with just the oval but I've ordered 3 sets of straight, 3 sets of curves and two switches. Thats 36 straight and 36 curves in addition to the oval. I need to check out the links provided for rerailers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom- your 3rd link doesnt work. I'd like to see designs for a DIY railer. I think he needs a way to place the trains on the track initially , not so much to rerail it as it goes. Maybe both but first things first.
I like the lionel fastrack railer... kinda like a dustpan that leads onto the tracks. I need to see one up close , or good pics of one, to understand just how it looks. Then I can make something myself. I'm imagining a wood board cut/routed to accept the track at the end of the tapered lead in. Yes?
So anyone got pics or a link on how to construct something like that?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hm, it works for me. Go to ebay and search for "N SCALE MODEL TRAIN TRACK RERAILER". Of course that's for n scale, but it will be the same for G scale, just bigger of course.

Re-railers like that will do the same function, more or less. Just place the train on the track and push it though the rerailer and it will align the wheels.

But yes, your idea will work too, that's essentially what the other models are.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=BACU4892&P=FR&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxfzvBRCZARIsAGA7YMxl0AbkP7SZymvx8FvBlefojygegHsTQEakQZCCfgqCZErOUj-RfA4aAlYFEALw_wcB

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/rix/rix6280002.htm

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
rerailer.jpg

All you need is a wedge of wood, so all you have to do is let gravity roll the cars onto the tracks.

Best to place the re railer on a straight section.

Does not have to be fancy.

Edit,
You have to make it long enough so your longest car sits on the re railer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been thinking. Since this train is so large I don't really have a good way to cut such a long wedge of wood. Ive come up with a couple designs that basically use increasing blocks to form the ramp.
But I kept on thinking... maybe I can do something simpler and possibly better.
I could use a 6" wide piece of trim ( white prefinished MDF scrap from the house) and use the tablesaw to cut grooves in it that match the wheel flanges. The wood can be cut to 7/16" to match top of rail height. Then cut and fit it to track pieces..

Essentially making a long section of level crossing.. long enough for the whole train (3-4 feet). That would be easy enough for him to place the cars and could just serve as another section of track...

What do you think?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Should work, and is essentially the same thing as this:

s-l640.jpg

Be sure to make the ends of the piece of wood pointed so the train can enter the crossing section without hitting a square end. You can just place the cars ahead of your rerailer and gently push them through the rerailer and it will align the wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts