Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick other then oil to reduce the drag on these old school cars? The rs3 has a time pulling them. I dont have an old school engine in orange.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No tricks other than replace the trucks with modern ones. Tight curves make it harder on the engines as well.
Pete

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you get modern trucks with power shoes for operating cars? The real problem is the LC RS3. Its a new pile of junk. Put my Williams gp9 on the load and it pulled it without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No comparison between Lionchief and Williams. Williams will match any other manufacturers two motor diesels. Same motors as MTH and Lionel scale and a diecast frame.

Pete

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No modern sliding shoes that I am aware of. One problem with using sliding shoes with most all modern switches is the shoe makes contact with a center rail and opens the coupler.

Pete

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I had an issue with prewar tinplate cars. I removed the axles and gave them a nice cleaning/smoothing. I inserted them in a drill. Then held steel-wool and/or a brass brush against them while spinning in the drill.

A member here bought small steel "pipe" brush for cleaning the inside ends of tubular track (McMasters 0.12 IIRC). I don't have that but it would have been useful to clean/smooth the holes ion the wheels. I used a nylon brush to remove any grime/dirt - looks like a pip brush for teeth/gum cleaning.

Then oiled them up - 100% improvement. I wish I had done it before an armature winding blew on a tinplate loco.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, did you really mean tinplate cars? mine are feather light and no drag issues. Problems I am having are with post war cars, 46-49

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yes, Marx 4-wheel tinplate cars, extremely light. But the dry-dirty-rusty axles & wheels were creating a drag issue. I did oil them after I cleaned them. Six cars caused an armature to burn-up on a Marx single reduction motor (I was running it on the higher voltage of Lionel transformer - 16 V). After the clean-up, the same cars on an identical motor ran much faster on a Marx 12 V transformer.

·
Admin
43,727 Posts
So do they make modern trucks with power shoes for operable cars?
Sure do, a number of them.

No modern sliding shoes that I am aware of. One problem with using sliding shoes with most all modern switches is the shoe makes contact with a center rail and opens the coupler.
MTH has several "modern" trucks with shoes. One is for the Coors Silver Bullet Cars, and they're also on the Dump cars and the Operating Reefer Car. I just bought a couple trucks for the MTH Coors Reefer, DA-6200016.

The modern log and coal dump cars from Lionel also have shoes.

Operating Reefer Car

Coors Operating Reefer Car

Operating Dump Car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts