Model Train Forum banner

1 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airports warn of chaos with looming Real ID license deadline
https://news.yahoo.com/airports-warn-chaos-looming-real-213100521.html

WASHINGTON — The nation's airports are warning of chaos for passengers if the White House doesn't postpone the looming Real ID deadline.

The law requires airline passengers to present a Real ID-compliant driver's license or ID card at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints in airports as of Oct. 1. Those licenses require more proof of identification than regular licenses and are generally marked with a star on the top.

The law was passed in 2001. It is almost 20 years, and now it is suddenly a mass panic.

Initial deadline was in 2008, deferments were passed multiple times to allow states to comply.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm just back from a very long day of flights for the funeral of my father-in-law. Up at 3am for a 6am flight and connection to final destination. Attended the funeral, and did the returns.

But yeah, I have to update my licence this year and still wonder why my state of VA didn't do this 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I got the star drivers license earlier this year, not a big deal to supply the required documents.

Bill

·
Admin
43,173 Posts
I'm all set, but I'm not sure I'll really need it. I figured I might as well get it so that if I want to fly, I won't be the guy dukeing it out with TSA.

FWIW, you can also use your passport for ID, so I'm covered a couple of ways. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can also acquire a "passport card" (assuming you have a passport) which will serve as the ID needed without actually caring the passport book and I believe it is valid for 10 years after issue just as your passport book.

·
Registered
620 Posts
LeeWillis wrote:
"I'm not sure I have that type of license but I don't "do airports" anymore, so it doesn't matter."

It's going to be needed for MORE THAN just airports in the future.
I believe you'll need a Real ID to enter federal buildings and facilities, too.
Perhaps state buildings, as well --- see Andy57's post above.

I wouldn't be surprised if it works its way into other things eventually.

In time, "real ID" may transmogrify into something of a de facto substitute for a "national ID card", even though it's issued by the states...

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Of course you won't need the real ID or any ID in some states to cast your vote even if you are from Iran or Syria.

Bill

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Of course you won't need the real ID or any ID in some states to cast your vote even if you are from Iran or Syria.

Bill
You beat me to it Bill. Most any person, living or dead, can vote in this country now! :smilie_daumenneg:

·
Admin
43,173 Posts
You can also acquire a "passport card" (assuming you have a passport) which will serve as the ID needed without actually caring the passport book and I believe it is valid for 10 years after issue just as your passport book.
However, the passport card was rather expensive, so I just renewed the actual passport.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
LeeWillis wrote:
"I'm not sure I have that type of license but I don't "do airports" anymore, so it doesn't matter."

It's going to be needed for MORE THAN just airports in the future.
I believe you'll need a Real ID to enter federal buildings and facilities, too.
Perhaps state buildings, as well --- see Andy57's post above.

I wouldn't be surprised if it works its way into other things eventually.

In time, "real ID" may transmogrify into something of a de facto substitute for a "national ID card", even though it's issued by the states...
So, if i'm called for jury duty, and I don't have the ID, they won't let me in the building?

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I'm just going to forego any special effort to get one. When I renew my license/ID/Whatever, if it is convenient then I will ask about getting this, otherwise, I can't see why bother. My wife and I don't fly commercially - just don't like the hassles, the TSA lines and fru-fra, the waits, the crowds, the high possibility of delays, etc. Now here is another reason.

As to going into a federal or state office building. I have been in a federal building once in my life, for a "random" full IRS audit (which I won). I have been in state buildings like courthouses and such several times, always called for jury duty, which I no longer have to do due to age and my wife's disability. Federal government services I need like SS and Medicare are all sorted out and I did all that through the mail/phone/internet. Probably won't need any more interactions but again, if I do, no need to actually go there.

Will I need one to get into a Smithsonian Museum or such? They are a federal facility? Well, I doubt it (we let foreigners just walk in now), but if so, I'll forego all that. What about the Post Office and Amtrak? Both are strictly speaking not federal agencies, but, are anyway . . . sorta. I don't do Amtrak anymore (too sloppy and inefficient) and the post office I loath - I use only UPS.

Driving into a National Park? I can't see the government doing that, but then okay, I won't go see the Grand Canyon again (didn't plan to anyway!).

I suppose police and fire stations could eventually require the ID to enter, but I can't recall ever being in either of the two in my life: when you need them they come to me(sometimes, when I'm driving, even when I didn't want them!).
Will I need one to get into a Smithsonian Museum or such? Well, I doubt it (we let foreigners just walk in now), but if so, I'll forego all that.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Driving into a National Park? I can't see the government doing that, but then okay, I won't go see the Grand Canyon again (didn't plan to anyway!).
We’re fortunate that our two states share The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. A beautiful place with no check stations at the entrances or admission fees.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Will I need one to get into a Smithsonian Museum or such? Well, I doubt it (we let foreigners just walk in now), but if so, I'll forego all that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Smithsonian Institution has always welcomed everyone.

Practically speaking, the only difference between getting a Real ID and a formerly-standard driver's license is the number and forms of ID that you're required to bring. In Massachusetts, the only difference is that you must do it in-person and you have to bring two, not one document showing Mass. residency.

Here's the DHS FAQ page
. It answers Lee's question about National Parks—Real ID is only required in Federal facilities that already require ID.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I keep seeing bits about the real ID on the News, but haven’t paid too much attention to it. If I can get one when I renew my driver’s license by just bringing along my passport, I might do it. Do you have to pay extra to get one?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I keep seeing bits about the real ID on the News, but haven’t paid too much attention to it. If I can get one when I renew my driver’s license by just bringing along my passport, I might do it. Do you have to pay extra to get one?
In Ohio it was a few dollars more and took about 3 weeks to receive the star license.

Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my state a passport that has not expired is good. Otherwise one needed your Social Security card, Birth Certificate, and if name change from Birth Certificate proof. Meaning my wife had to bring our marriage certificate for hers. If it cost a few bucks more I don't remember it. Not enough to raise my eyebrows.
I have heard some had to bring proof of address, wife and I did not. We have been married 39 years and have lived in this house since 1994.

Hope this helps Andy.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I got one a couple of weeks ago. Pennsylvania was one of the states to not be able to comply, but that wasn't surprising. Anyway, I paid my 35 bucks for a new license, and went to the DMV in Bridgeville, Pa. (it reminded me of something out of a science fiction movie, all uncolorful, cold and very mechanical)

So, I paid another 35 dollars, filled out and signed several forms presented my 27 forms of identification, got my picture taken several times, and walked out about a hour later with my new official READ ID. Now, I can present myself at any Federal Court I am summoned to, and gain entry without any hassle.

What a great country this is.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I spent over $500 on trains yesterday without giving it much thought, but for some reason it irritates me to have to pay an extra $35 every 4 years to get a real ID. I have to renew my license this summer. Haven’t yet decided if I’ll get a real ID license.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I got one a couple of weeks ago. Pennsylvania was one of the states to not be able to comply, but that wasn't surprising. Anyway, I paid my 35 bucks for a new license, and went to the DMV in Bridgeville, Pa. (it reminded me of something out of a science fiction movie, all uncolorful, cold and very mechanical)

So, I paid another 35 dollars, filled out and signed several forms presented my 27 forms of identification, got my picture taken several times, and walked out about a hour later with my new official READ ID. Now, I can present myself at any Federal Court I am summoned to, and gain entry without any hassle.

What a great country this is.
That it is....could be a WHOLE lot worse.....

·
Admin
43,173 Posts
I spent over $500 on trains yesterday without giving it much thought, but for some reason it irritates me to have to pay an extra $35 every 4 years to get a real ID. I have to renew my license this summer. Haven’t yet decided if I’ll get a real ID license.
You don't have to pay extra after the one-time charge, you just pay what you would to renew your drivers license. I'm sure you're still going to renew the driver's license, right?

From the PA website...

You will pay a one-time fee of $30, plus a renewal fee (current renewal fee is $30.50 for a four-year non-commercial driver’s license or a photo ID). The expiration date of the initial REAL ID product will include any time remaining on your current license or ID card, plus an additional four years, unless you are over 65 and have a two-year license.

This expiration date structure means that you won’t “lose” time that you've already paid for. After the initial REAL ID product expires, the customer will pay no additional fee, beyond regular renewal fees, to renew a REAL ID product.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
It just irritates me no end that we need yet another ID when illegals don't need any ID to do anything! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
In Delaware it does not cost any more than a regular license renewal. When they started it they actually increased the number of years to renew without any additional cost. The only problem we had was that they would not accept my wife's ID of our marriage license from the church without it having a raised state seal on it. Had to send a request to the state for an official state marriage license and pay a small fee for it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The only problem we had was that they would not accept my wife's ID of our marriage license from the church without it having a raised state seal on it. Had to send a request to the state for an official state marriage license and pay a small fee for it.
Good point. The same holds true for birth certificates. Many of us ‘boomers’ who still have our originals without the raised seals will find out the hard way that they’re no longer valid. This happened to a couple of my friends. Mine is also the old type, but I have a passport so won’t need the BC.

I’ve also been told that my original Social Security card isn’t valid either. (Not told officially, so that may be Bull.) But I have a paid preparer tax form. That will do.
Good to check all the details before going down and standing on line for nothing.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
In Canada, our Social Insurance cards are the same material as a credit card.....last forever, but can develope cracks when old....much like myself.....

1 - 40 of 44 Posts