Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airports warn of chaos with looming Real ID license deadline
https://news.yahoo.com/airports-warn-chaos-looming-real-213100521.html

WASHINGTON — The nation's airports are warning of chaos for passengers if the White House doesn't postpone the looming Real ID deadline.

The law requires airline passengers to present a Real ID-compliant driver's license or ID card at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints in airports as of Oct. 1. Those licenses require more proof of identification than regular licenses and are generally marked with a star on the top.

The law was passed in 2001. It is almost 20 years, and now it is suddenly a mass panic.

Initial deadline was in 2008, deferments were passed multiple times to allow states to comply.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm just back from a very long day of flights for the funeral of my father-in-law. Up at 3am for a 6am flight and connection to final destination. Attended the funeral, and did the returns.

But yeah, I have to update my licence this year and still wonder why my state of VA didn't do this 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I got the star drivers license earlier this year, not a big deal to supply the required documents.

Bill

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
I'm all set, but I'm not sure I'll really need it. I figured I might as well get it so that if I want to fly, I won't be the guy dukeing it out with TSA.

FWIW, you can also use your passport for ID, so I'm covered a couple of ways. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can also acquire a "passport card" (assuming you have a passport) which will serve as the ID needed without actually caring the passport book and I believe it is valid for 10 years after issue just as your passport book.

·
Registered
688 Posts
LeeWillis wrote:
"I'm not sure I have that type of license but I don't "do airports" anymore, so it doesn't matter."

It's going to be needed for MORE THAN just airports in the future.
I believe you'll need a Real ID to enter federal buildings and facilities, too.
Perhaps state buildings, as well --- see Andy57's post above.

I wouldn't be surprised if it works its way into other things eventually.

In time, "real ID" may transmogrify into something of a de facto substitute for a "national ID card", even though it's issued by the states...

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Of course you won't need the real ID or any ID in some states to cast your vote even if you are from Iran or Syria.

Bill

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Of course you won't need the real ID or any ID in some states to cast your vote even if you are from Iran or Syria.

Bill
You beat me to it Bill. Most any person, living or dead, can vote in this country now! :smilie_daumenneg:

·
Admin
43,514 Posts
You can also acquire a "passport card" (assuming you have a passport) which will serve as the ID needed without actually caring the passport book and I believe it is valid for 10 years after issue just as your passport book.
However, the passport card was rather expensive, so I just renewed the actual passport.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
LeeWillis wrote:
"I'm not sure I have that type of license but I don't "do airports" anymore, so it doesn't matter."

It's going to be needed for MORE THAN just airports in the future.
I believe you'll need a Real ID to enter federal buildings and facilities, too.
Perhaps state buildings, as well --- see Andy57's post above.

I wouldn't be surprised if it works its way into other things eventually.

In time, "real ID" may transmogrify into something of a de facto substitute for a "national ID card", even though it's issued by the states...
So, if i'm called for jury duty, and I don't have the ID, they won't let me in the building?

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
I'm just going to forego any special effort to get one. When I renew my license/ID/Whatever, if it is convenient then I will ask about getting this, otherwise, I can't see why bother. My wife and I don't fly commercially - just don't like the hassles, the TSA lines and fru-fra, the waits, the crowds, the high possibility of delays, etc. Now here is another reason.

As to going into a federal or state office building. I have been in a federal building once in my life, for a "random" full IRS audit (which I won). I have been in state buildings like courthouses and such several times, always called for jury duty, which I no longer have to do due to age and my wife's disability. Federal government services I need like SS and Medicare are all sorted out and I did all that through the mail/phone/internet. Probably won't need any more interactions but again, if I do, no need to actually go there.

Will I need one to get into a Smithsonian Museum or such? They are a federal facility? Well, I doubt it (we let foreigners just walk in now), but if so, I'll forego all that. What about the Post Office and Amtrak? Both are strictly speaking not federal agencies, but, are anyway . . . sorta. I don't do Amtrak anymore (too sloppy and inefficient) and the post office I loath - I use only UPS.

Driving into a National Park? I can't see the government doing that, but then okay, I won't go see the Grand Canyon again (didn't plan to anyway!).

I suppose police and fire stations could eventually require the ID to enter, but I can't recall ever being in either of the two in my life: when you need them they come to me(sometimes, when I'm driving, even when I didn't want them!).
Will I need one to get into a Smithsonian Museum or such? Well, I doubt it (we let foreigners just walk in now), but if so, I'll forego all that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts