Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I purchased two of these switches for my new layout and it's my first experience with them. Both were described as new in box but look to be older stock as the date on the packaging says 2004.

My left hand switch works perfectly. No issues. The right hand switch is having some odd issues. I have a short 20 inch test section of track with both switches hooked up on either side. Since they were new in box I just plugged them in to test off track power I did check to see if the track jumper was in and it was on both but I did not look closely.

Both switches were switching fine on track power but the right hand one's lantern is not lighting up. I unplugged the switch and flipped it over. The track jumper is connecting the aux in and aux grnd and not the track jumper port. I pulled the jumper and put it the way it is in the manual and connected the track. Now the switch is not working at all. If i put the jumper back between aux in and aux grnd it functions off track power.

So I decided to try non-track power. I connected the power and ground from my transformer to the aux in and aux grnd, powered it up, and the circuit breaker tripped. I checked out the lionel support site and they said you only really need the power it from the same transformer so tried that and it worked but the other switch lights all dimmed and it would no longer switch.

all the while the switch lantern is still not functional. I did pop open the back and looked. The cherry switches are being fully engaged.

I have a ticket opened with where I purchased this to see if they can help me at all. Must be why I got them for half price :smilie_auslachen:

·
Admin
44,342 Posts
First off, there is a correction for aux power shorts for Fastrack switches, some of them were wired wrong from the factory. Attached is the Lionel document describing the fix.

The LED not working is a fairly common issue, for some reason they tend to burn out, in spite of the fact that LED's shouldn't do that in our lifetimes. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

I will check the wiring and hopefully that is the issue. I was wondering if it was possible it was miswired. As always thank you :). I saw that lionel has the FASTRACK REMOTE SWITCH STAND W/LED / PREWIRED for $6.50. When the replacement led is $3 it seems like a no brainer. We'll see what Trainz has to say. Maybe they will send me one heh.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You were dead on. the wiring was backwards. Swapped the yellow and the red wire without the resistor and it's working fine now. The LED is still blown so that's the only issue to resolve. The LED's might be cheap but finding just one shipped for 3 cents is not :) I found a pack of 30 on Amazon with free shipping for $5. You sent me a 3mm one a long time ago when I was working on my dad's train but I can't find it lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since I have to fix, literally, half the Lionel stuff I buy new...my wife said I should go to work for Lionel.
I said, I already do!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links John. I usually try to stay away from ebay but the prices are quite good for that. We'll see what Trainz says and if they tell me I'm out of luck I'll order some. I did take a look and it looks easy enough to replace.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found that 3mm LED you sent me. I used it as the headlight for the j-class engine. I'll swap that out for one of my (many) 5mm and see if I can't get this switch fully working :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, so trainz had lionel ship me this part

6102045126 FASTRACK REMOTE SWITCH STAND W/LED / PREWIRED

Their customer service has been excellent. I got the new part in today and it doesn't work either. Not even a hint of lighting. The switch is working perfectly otherwise though. The lights on the controller work and after swapping the 2 wires it now works on track power or direct power. There must be something else dead. Any idea how to trace this?

thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I swapped the entire stand with the other switch that is working. The new LED is fine. The original one is for sure burnt out. I have 2 good switch stand LED's that do not work when connected to this switch for some reason.

What should I be looking for inside the switch?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh that would suck. Everything else seems to be working on the switch. The anti derail, the lights on the remote switch, the switching itself. Just the light on the switch stand is a no go. I pulled it off track power and ran an accessory jack at 14v into it and tested it with the multi meter. On both sides I'm reading 4.91-5v dc. That looks right? So odd that the light works on the other switch but not this one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts