Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Marx 1666 loco that has quit smoking. I think the wick (I think It's called a wick) is hardened. It will smoke lightly for about a minute or so, but then quits. Is there someplace on the Net that will explain how to rebuild the Stack smoker? Thanks to all who have given me advise in the past.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had my motor changed and the smoke unit stopped working. I guess the smoke unit is part of the motor? I'm clueless. If it is I had a good smoker until my motor was changed. I need to learn how to fix these old locos myself. I have a couple small 0-4-0 locos I need to service. Those will be good to fiddle with. :)

·
Admin
46,417 Posts
If they changed the motor and the smoke no longer works, my guess is they left a wire loose that powered the smoke unit.

Lionel has a video on enlarging the holes on earlier fan driven smoke units, it did make a noticeable difference on a couple of mine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The smoker on a Marx 1666 loco is built into the motor block (along witht he e-unit). So if they just swapped out the motor it seems like they left your good smoker attached to the old motor and the replacement motor had a bad smoke unit attached.

There are two small tabs at the bottom of the motor frame that hold the smoke unit in place. To remove the smoke unit, gently twist one of the tabs to straighten it and you should be able to wiggle the smoker around and get it off the frame. Then pop out the drive rod ends and snip or unsolder the wire from the terminal strip on the side of the e-unit.

You may want to check with whoever replaced the motor and see if they can send you your old smoker back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you Handyandy! Great information. Yes, they kept my good smoker. I won't be dealing with that serviceman again. Not only for this reason but others too. It's so hard to find someone who will deal with you in a nice manor. I'll use your information and repair my unit. With all the information I have in this thread I can do it. Thanks again!! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's pretty easy to open up the smoke unit and replace the wick, which is doubtless what you need to do. Can you post a picture of the smoke unit with the shell off the locomotive?

have you opened a smoke unit for the marx 1666 and 666? i have tried, it doesn't look like it will come apart at all

·
Registered
121 Posts
The top of the 666/1666 smoke unit comes off easily. Take that off and add some fiberglass insulation to the smoke unit chamber. Put the cap back on and it should smoke much better. If that doesn't work, check for loose wires. The next step after that is to replace the smoke element.

Replacement Marx smoke unit elements are available from the Robert Grossman company for $2.50.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw on the web that I can buy a replacement unit. I sent the loco to my repairman, & he said he cleaned it out. I've GOT to learn how to service my own stuff! Can't spend $60.00 every time something goes wrong. Thanks to everyone!! :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,001 Posts
Thank you Handyandy! Great information. Yes, they kept my good smoker. I won't be dealing with that serviceman again. Not only for this reason but others too. It's so hard to find someone who will deal with you in a nice manor. I'll use your information and repair my unit. With all the information I have in this thread I can do it. Thanks again!! :)
I saw on the web that I can buy a replacement unit. I sent the loco to my repairman, & he said he cleaned it out. I've GOT to learn how to service my own stuff! Can't spend $60.00 every time something goes wrong. Thanks to everyone!! :)

How many service men do you have?
Did you send that twice or is this the same serviceman talked about?

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,001 Posts
If you can handle basic hand tools, you can do the common service on PW model train stuff. There are a few things that might be a challenge, but most are pretty simple.
And you can buy more trains with the 60 bucks instead.;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts