Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I'm not a model train hobbyist. There is a lot of information here and I am overwhelmed.

I received a large amount (easily over 100 ft) of G scale track, labelled LGB/Lehmann. Appears to be brass railed, with plastic ties. Some have 1000 labels, some say 1000/3. I have some 5 ft sections, 4 ft sections, and some miscellaneous lengths. Some of the plastic ties are damaged, but most of them are good.

1. Should I condense the good ties down to be on similar pieces before selling?
2. Do I need to polish the brass before selling?
3. In your experience, is it better to separate the ties and rails for selling?

Thanks in advance. I'm just trying to figure out what is best for my family.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I’m an O gauge guy so I’m not that familiar with G gauge stuff, but a quick search tells me the rails are indeed brass. I attached a link to give you an idea of what the track goes for when new. I would say no to all three of your questions. Just leave it alone and let the buyer do what they will with cleaning the brass, etc.

For selling it, the amount of effort is proportional to what you will get for it.

Easiest is to find a local hobby shop and see if they will buy the lot.

Next is selling it on a forum like this one. Take some pictures and give a good description like you did in your post. Read the forum rules for selling. Some require you to give an asking price. Some don’t allow you to bump the thread. There is a limited audience so you may need to wait a while for a sale and may need to ask a lot less than retail to entice a buyer.

Most effort (if you are not already an eBay seller) and most $ would be eBay. Larger audience, so sale should be quicker and you will most likely get more money.

Straight Track : LGB Model Trains, LGB Locomotives, Garden Train Sets, G Scale Model Trains,

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
You can run a free ad in our For Sale or trade Forum. As indicated by Lehigh you must post a price, but you also can
add...Or better offer.. You also should state your terms for payment and shipment. You would get the best
response with pictures as well as the footage of the track available. You would probably do well to
state the condition as you have in your initial post. You might try to get a better understanding of the
value of your track by checking sales on Amazon or Ebay.. Another good outlet for your track
is Craig's list. Use their Collectibles OR Toys and Games sections. Running in larger cities would
offer wider coverage.

Don

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have been out of G scale for a few years now but there were G scale forums. Try Mylargescale.com or largescaleonline.com. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What you can do is try a scan of eBay, this or any other train forum that's allows for sale posts ... Then you can post and suggest a competitive price. Shipping may come into play also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your kind recommendations. I agree with Severn that shipping is going to be a tough point. I am not looking forward to finding a 5 ft long box or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know us hobby people are always curious. This is what it looks like (my hobbies are in other things! LoL)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
So maybe 2 yrs back I sold off all of a brand of track, as I switched. I had quite a bit of it, 100 ft maybe even approaching 200. Funny how quickly we forget. Anyway I had a couple of boxes of 30" track. And some of it was new.. or very close to it. And so I did what I said earlier, I watched recent used sales and checked around for pricing ideas. I was not that interested in the value side. So I tried to price it to sell and I cut the price if it didn't move. At the time I found USPS flat rate boxes to be an expedient way to do it if I could get the track to fit. They even accepted the boxes if for example I opened the flaps on one end and taped that all up. In few cases I shoved two together. It had to be close and show all of a box. I shipped so much from the same location they got to know me and were quite helpful. I also got a feel for the pricing and box sizes at certain price points. I wasn't so much weight but the dimensions that might kick it up in price.

I even found in a few cases east of the Mississippi I beat the flat rates with a careful custom pack which was just a game to make it a little fun. It's not so easy for me here near Baltimore to get good prices on the west coast for shipping. But I cut a few folks a break in California and Oregon if I recall....

So another thing I did then as I was mainly looking to sell it was offer deals on shipping in the advertisement at a flat rate box...

Or in a few cases I just included shipping.

This worked out as I got thru the pile from best to worst track...

So in the end it all got sold off and I reclaimed some value too. I went through a lot of packing tape and had some fun with it.

Well really just some things to think about. I don't know much or anything about g scale track sizes. One imagines the pieces are long and all that over all.

Still I think that's a good brand for it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
When I got out of G several years ago I had no luck selling my stuff. I wound up using Trainz.com. I sent them a list of what I had and they eventually gave me a price which includeded them paying shipping. It's possible the price they gave me was the cost of shipping and nothing else but it was the only offer I ever got. It was a somewhat slow process but it worked for me. If you obtained the track cost free it may be worth looking at if all else fails..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would imagine g market liquidity is not super great. I was selling o gauge track.

It's entirely up to the seller but ones imagines pricing is key.

I find some folks get a value in their head and just have to get that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your help. I decided the best way was to sell to our local shop. I know this didn't maximize my return, but it was by far the easiest. I was paid a little more than $2 a foot. My research showed anywhere from $4-6 per foot on ebay, but my track was far from mint or new.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I think you did fine then. Hey, and it is gone and you got something for it. Plus the local shop has to
get it cheap to turn a profit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts