Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lollypop shaped bump and go track in my new layout design that needs a single non-derail turnout for an all Atlas based layout. With the Atlas non-derail boards no longer available and scarce, I'm trying to figure out the best approach. This will only ever run a #60 Trolley

1) I read that there is some kind of passive non-derail capability in the Atlas that requires adjusting an internal spring. Any details about that?

2) Do the DX1000 switch machines work with Atlas turnouts?

3) Screw it and use a Ross or Gargraves with DX1000.

·
Registered
519 Posts
An Atlas switch will usually turn when a locomotive or car wheel enters it. If the car is very light it might not, but my experience is that any loco will go through the switch even against the points.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
An Atlas switch will usually turn when a locomotive or car wheel enters it. If the car is very light it might not, but my experience is that any loco will go through the switch even against the points.
A similar issue with a different mfg line. I have a Marx O-34 switch. Mechanically, the frog will move to the correct position for trains entering against the point. But my light tinplate loco derails. It's not heavy enough to move the frog spring.

I have a design using Arduino modules. About $8 per switch. Plug and play electronic modules plus some form factor assembly.

It detects the train entering the switch via isolated rails. Then provides a full voltage pulse to move the frog into piston. The limited duration pulse confidently moves the switch motor but doesn't cause switch motor burnout.

The electronics/switch worked on a bench test. I have not had a chance to test it on the layout.

Non-Derail.png

Modules.png

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. When I get my Atlas turnout and test my #60 Trolley, I'll let you know if it doesn't work. I have a ways to go before I get to that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Millstonemike :appl: :appl:,

Is there another post somewhere that details the electronic parts you used in the diagrams above and where they might be purchased. Also, could you explain how the two different electronic diagrams connect?

Thanks,
Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts