Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Train Friends!
I'm new to trains. This year, I am unfortunately isolated from friends and family. I really need to add some Christmas magic to my house. I want to get an under-the-tree christmas train but my tree goes in a very small space. (see photo) Tree will go where keyboard is. Space is at most 25" x 50"

Any recs for a train set that would fit there? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Welcome to the MTF! It is great that you want to include a train. This may not be of much help but when faced with a space dilemma as you have, my reaction is to change the rules. Here is a picture to demonstrate. The corner was too small so I put the tree there but put the layout in the center of the room, covering over the ottoman. The wide angle lens makes the space appear larger than it is. Whatever you choose I hope it works out well.

D7A2E2F6-7745-4493-ADEA-3336352D2012.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the MTF! It is great that you want to include a train. This may not be of much help but when faced with a space dilemma as you have, my reaction is to change the rules. Here is a picture to demonstrate. The corner was too small so I put the tree there but put the layout in the center of the room, covering over the ottoman. The wide angle lens makes the space appear larger than it is. Whatever you choose I hope it works out well.

View attachment 549804
Oh wow, your set up looks great! Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
One of the smaller scales would probably be what you'd need if you can't squeak out more than the 25"x50".

If you can squeeze a bit bigger than the 25" width, you might try an On30 set from Bachmann. The trains are O scale (Lionel train size) models of narrow gauge locomotives and cars, so they're big enough to stand out a bit more but not overly huge by nature and run on HO gauge track.

HO or N would be another option that would probably be closer to the size you need. Even in HO the minimum starter set ovals I'm seeing are at about 40"x56"

This N scale set (from a brand I highly recommend) is probably the closest in size to what you need. The curve diameter is 26-5/8" and the length can be adjusted to as large as 52" by adding or removing straight sections. I've yet to be disappointed by any of the starter sets by Kato, they're all pretty high quality products. For size comparison, one of these sets fits easily on my dining room table.

There are more options in that line, those were just some of the examples I found.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lionel FasTrack Layout around our Christmas Tree. I have part of the track under our sofa. The layout is about 58" by 50". Fits in the corner of our condo pretty well. I have noticed that the heavier the train, the quieter the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the smaller scales would probably be what you'd need if you can't squeak out more than the 25"x50".

If you can squeeze a bit bigger than the 25" width, you might try an On30 set from Bachmann. The trains are O scale (Lionel train size) models of narrow gauge locomotives and cars, so they're big enough to stand out a bit more but not overly huge by nature and run on HO gauge track.

HO or N would be another option that would probably be closer to the size you need. Even in HO the minimum starter set ovals I'm seeing are at about 40"x56"

This N scale set (from a brand I highly recommend) is probably the closest in size to what you need. The curve diameter is 26-5/8" and the length can be adjusted to as large as 52" by adding or removing straight sections. I've yet to be disappointed by any of the starter sets by Kato, they're all pretty high quality products. For size comparison, one of these sets fits easily on my dining room table.

There are more options in that line, those were just some of the examples I found.

Thank you Jake! These links are awesome! I actually, jumped the gun and already bought a cheapo set. I was struggling to find anything small enough and I didn't want to make a big investment and it not fit. I've included a pic of the set I bought. It was only $30 bucks. I also bought paint so it can go full Christmas. I checked out your recs and if all goes well, I think a Kato N scale set would be might next move. Thank you again! Also, I'd love to see a photo of your train set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lionel FasTrack Layout around our Christmas Tree. I have part of the track under our sofa. The layout is about 58" by 50". Fits in the corner of our condo pretty well. I have noticed that the heavier the train, the quieter the noise.

View attachment 549848 View attachment 549849
Ha! I love this so much!! Thank you for sharing! This is really awesome. You managed to also keep it from being a tripping hazard. Well done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ha! I love this so much!! Thank you for sharing! This is really awesome. You managed to also keep it from being a tripping hazard. Well done.
I have a 4 y/o daughter and she loves the train around the tree. My dad and I went in together to get her her own train for next year's tree. The Lionel THOMAS KINKADE CHRISTMAS LIONCHIEF SET W/BLUETOOTH. She loves controlling it with her iPad and this is the one she picked out looking at the virtual catalog.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just some food for thought if 25" is the maximum depth. These are the minimum practical size circles for different scale trains. Track these sizes will have to be purchased separately from a dealer and you will need to make sure your chosen train can run on that track. In HO and N you will be limited to smaller rolling stock and locos. In O you will generally be limited to the compressed dimension trains specifically designed for "O-27" Also the actual circle may be slightly larger as some measurements are from track center.

-O gets as small as 27", called "O-27"
-HO gets as almost as small as 30" using 15" radius track.
- Most N will fit comfortably inside 25" with 11" radius curves. 8.5" radius exists too but make sure your train can handle it.

As has been noted N fits your space and it appears you have a nice toy train to hold you over for this year.

However for next year consider O27. The large size equipment is study and looks fantastic under a tree.

N scale is charming but so small on the floor that your guests might not even notice you have a train.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just some food for thought if 25" is the maximum depth. These are the minimum practical size circles for different scale trains. Track these sizes will have to be purchased separately from a dealer and you will need to make sure your chosen train can run on that track. In HO and N you will be limited to smaller rolling stock and locos. In O you will generally be limited to the compressed dimension trains specifically designed for "O-27" Also the actual circle may be slightly larger as some measurements are from track center.

-O gets as small as 27", called "O-27"
-HO gets as almost as small as 30" using 15" radius track.
- Most N will fit comfortably inside 25" with 11" radius curves. 8.5" radius exists too but make sure your train can handle it.

As has been noted N fits your space and it appears you have a nice toy train to hold you over for this year.

However for next year consider O27. The large size equipment is study and looks fantastic under a tree.

N scale is charming but so small on the floor that your guests might not even notice you have a train.
Eilif,
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you. I received my cheap train today and its adorable and it fits in the space but its awful. It constantly derails. If I can find an O, HO or N from amazon that will arrive soon, I will buy it and return my current one. If not, I will just have to live with a derailing train this Christmas. Thank you!!! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I can find an O, HO or N from amazon that will arrive soon, I will buy it and return my current one. If not, I will just have to live with a derailing train this Christmas. Thank you!!! :)
Depending on where you live and how much you want to spend, you could always check your local model trains shop or Lionel has an online store.The Lionel online store has a feature that if you register and add something you your cart and leave for longer than a day or two they will send you a coupon. Lionel Model Trains - Electric Trains & more at the Lionel Train Store

1 - 11 of 11 Posts