Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where I can buy 5 mm red LED's with (red lenses) and 5 mm green LED's with (green lenses) that are not BRIGHT. I am running them with Tortoise switch machines to my panels. I have a lot of Tortoise machines and I need to replace a few of the LED's and everything I can find are too bright compared to the ones I currently have in my various panels. I am not using resistors to the LED's because of using the Tortoise machines.Thanks

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Just Google 5mm LEDs and you'll get a number of sources (and prices)

Here's one.

You could use a 470 ohm or so resistor of
1/2 watt rating in the common for
all LEDs. That would not affect the Tortoise
operation. If you have an unusually large number
of LEDs you could go to a higher wattage resistor.
You can experiment with resistance
to get brightness you want.
Or you can use a 1/4 watt for each LED.

Don

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don, the link is for clear lenses and I want to get warm LED's that have red and green lenses. I have also tried to use 1/4 watt 1K ohm resistor and it has no effect on the bright light LED's that I purchased thinking they were warm light and not bright light. I want to use a resistor on the bright light LED's to try and match the other LED's in the panels..

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Seems the folks at the link I posted have just about
any type of LED. I would suggest that you
contact them with your preferences. They'll
likely be able to advise you on brightness
and resistor values.

Don

·
Yard Master & Research
10,648 Posts
The voltage must be up there for a bright red with 1k resistor. How about a different approach? The dome LED emit lights from the top. My theory is that you are looking straight into it. Then I believe it would be bright. How about just flatten the dome with a sanding disk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts