Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I got this little red caboose from a lot buy. It is a tyco cheapie! So I took it apart , repainted the red. Removed the ladders , brake wheels , hand rails , and tossed them! Took a couple of ladders from a old junk wooden box car & handrails off of a 70’s bachmann Santa Fe caboose the brake wheels are from a cheap Santa Fe caboose from a 90’s starter kit.
I will add some C&O decals to it & maybe a set of marker lights. Some kadee #5 couplers & metal wheels with pick ups. Maybe a LED on the inside.
This little thing is slowly turning into one of my favorites! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you planning on putting "glass" in the windows? I use clear acetate film.....
I was thinking about it. Do you think it would look better with the light inside if I add glass? I know most passenger cars run “ glass” in the windows. So I was thinking it might be ok.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got windows in it last night & Put in a LED with a bridge in it. Now I am thinking an side lanterns.... what’s everyone’s thoughts on that? Also I think need to paint, or put in something so the LED won’t shine through the body shell. It looks a bit weird at night with a glowing red caboose! Lol

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think most people give the inside of the car body a coat of flat black to prevent the light from shining through the sides (applies to passenger cars as well), but that should have been done before the glass was added. However, judging from your photos it looks like the LED is too bright? If it looks that way to you in person, then try adding a larger value resistor to cut down the output. You should be able to bring it down to where the LED is more of a low warm white.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about switching out the LED. I used a bright white , I should of used my warm white. I was just worried it would not light up enough! Lol
Boy talk about a swing & a miss!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yeah for these small models you never need the bright LEDs, and almost never need to even run them at full brightness. Your light is also centered inside the caboose instead of spread out. My suggestion would be to use TWO of your warm-white LEDs wired in series, using the same value of resistor you had before. Spread out the two LEDs to more fully light up the interior, and see if the reduced brightness looks any better. And to get an even more spread-out glow, lightly rough up the surface of the LED with some fine sandpaper untill you can't see any more glossy surface. That does a great job of giving you an area light instead of a spotlight.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you sir! I like to refresh, rework old thing back to something new. With these little ...... throw away , or not wanted caboose. I find I can learn different techniques, and applications for other models

·
Registered
863 Posts
What I did in my buildings is paint the inside of the building a thick flat black to block out any light as mentioned above. After that dries and you're satisfied it blocks out light, you may find that not much light actually can be seen through the windows. To solve that, I put a second coat of white paint over the black so that there's some internal reflectivity.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm I wonder if using a metallic tape, like what you use for hvac..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I have painted the inside with black. I also added a piece of aluminum tape to the top of the roof to help reflect & changed the LED color. Also offset the light a little to reflect a bit better.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did a little weathering to it now. I am no pro at this. I’m using a water base , so if I don’t like it I can just wash it off & start over. What do you all think??
I just am playing with black right now. What other colleges should I look at trying?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts