Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was thinking about getting a air brush. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
I like the gravity-fed Badger Patriot for starters.
Others might recommend different brands or types.
Look for YouTube vids for ratings, reviews, and techniques.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did a little weathering to it now. I am no pro at this. I’m using a water base , so if I don’t like it I can just wash it off & start over. What do you all think??
I just am playing with black right now. What other colleges should I look at trying?

I like to use burnt umber and a subtle yellowish color for light weathering.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

So I did a little more weathering to that old junk caboose. I added to the layout just to see how it fits in.... slowly becoming one of my favorites!
I will tell you all this in the first time I have tried weathering anything! I watched how to “ dry brush” I have to say I like how it made it look like salt grime on it for my winter layout.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Glad I read to the end of the comments, I was actually going to suggest dry-brushing! My experience with weathering started with acrylics, thinned heavily and dry-brushed to the sides of a couple test cars. It really makes a nice dusty look, and if you don't like it you can wash it off real quick. Since then I've also gotten a set of chalks, but I'm torn. Chalks do make a nicer 'dusty' look, but a lot of the chalk is absorbed when you seal it with dullcoat. Acrylics are easier to work with, but don't give the same detail. Although I've recently seen work done by mixing chalks into the paint, for example to give a gritty rust surface, and want to try this.

By the way, I really like the more 'yellow' look of the LEDs now. What did you think, was that more like what you were going for?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah! I like the more yellow! Thanks for the idea on dry brushing. I think it was you that I seen weather a building with it, or maybe some one else! Lol I know it was here that I read about it & then looked into it.
I was thinking about chalk today I might try that on a older loco I have. We will see

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wow!!! That is a nice caboose!!! I really like the details in it!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I know ! I remember watching the yellow caboose go by all the time on the chessie lines around me! We would always wait to see the end & bet on if was a yellow , or red!! If it was red my dad would buy us ice cream! Lol
Now my daughter & I just watch to see what graffiti is on the sides! That or if we have those cars on our layout! Ha ha ha.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
I've always had a thing for those Chessie cabooses, I can't find any that aren't cheap old junk.
Walthers Mainline... with ProtoMax couplers.
Blue Rail Hobbies... $26.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts