Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard how that project turned out. I believe Lionel was picking up the tab on the repainting and decal application of the latest NW J steamer where the maroon stripe did not match the previous J's and passenger cars. I had heard that not all of the refurbs turned out perfectly pristine.

Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Several images posted on the "other O guage forum" appear to show what looks like ( to me anyway) the red paint of the stripe bleeding into the gold outline.

While custom painting anything is wayyy out of my league. As good as Harry might be, redoing 90 or 100 locos ( what I've read) would seem to be a rather large task to achieve perfection, and get them returned in a reasonable time frame.

Add to that, decals are not paint.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you can see the large photos of Rockymountaineer's J on the O Gauge Forum, look at the tender and you can clearly see what a sloppy job was done! Air bubbles, broken decals, misaligned stripes, poor painting. I can't begin to express how bad of a job was done on that model! On top of that, it must not have been put back together very well as the nose looks to have come loose in shipping!

Photos elsewhere of other J's show air bubbles and decals not set properly with edges clearly showing and stripes not in alignment. If I can see it from back here, imagine what it looks like in person!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can see the large photos of Rockymountaineer's J on the O Gauge Forum, look at the tender and you can clearly see what a sloppy job was done! Air bubbles, broken decals, misaligned stripes, poor painting. I can't begin to express how bad of a job was done on that model! On top of that, it must not have been put back together very well as the nose looks to have come loose in shipping!

Photos elsewhere of other J's show air bubbles and decals not set properly with edges clearly showing and stripes not in alignment. If I can see it from back here, imagine what it looks like in person!
WOW, sounds like for some of the finished J's it would have been better to leave it as is.

Bill

·
Registered
161 Posts
I returned mine for a refund. I knew after the initial pictures surfaced I wouldn't have been satisfied with the finished product and would have zero recourse at that point.

I hope those getting them repainted are happy. It's too bad there are now reports of close to 100 that are at Harry's for the fix when Lionel only reported 12 people complaining.

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
No aftermarket repaint can match a "factory" job if well done at the factory. For the money charged, Lionel owes every customer who bought one an absolutely first rate job.

The lower loco here is my Lionel J, an earlier iteration but Legacy - maybe six years ago now? Something like that. I repainted it in UP Greyhound as you can see and did a fairly good clean job, but its not "factory" crisp on the edges of some graphics and the paint is not as even as the best factory jobs.

J.jpg

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where's that guy who acted like Harry walked on water...
That would be Brian ( passenger train collector ), he left this forum and with a few others started up another train forum. He certainly was a cheerleader for Harry, no doubt about that.

Bill

·
Registered
161 Posts
What I find amazing is only 12 people or so complained to Lionel about the stripe color. At least that's what they told me and others but Harry has painted close to 100 engines.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The other 90 are the "silent majority". :D
Who screwed the vocal minority out of a factory paint job. Unfortunately that silent minority includes dealers who should have been exempt from using this service. If they had a problem they should of spoken up. The only one that even said anything was Mr. Muffin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Who screwed the vocal minority out of a factory paint job. Unfortunately that silent minority includes dealers who should have been exempt from using this service. If they had a problem they should of spoken up. The only one that even said anything was Mr. Muffin.

With all due respect Marty, really? So its the dealers fault Lionel screwed up the paint on these?
I think the dealers take a big enough hit when prorders are cancelled because Lionel screws up the paint and other details.

The entire run was painted the same "controversial" color. Lionel didn't need the dealers to verify that.

So then if the dealer sends their J inventory back, what do they do about the new passengers cars that don't match the locos repainted by Harry??

And yes, as I've stated before, it was Mr. Muffins idea from the get go regarding a fix, out of pocket or not. Lionel said nothing until after the fact. I'd be willing to bet Lionel would have done nothing had Steve not put the spotlight on the issue.

And then Lionel only gave what, a month or two for the repaint? Nothing like standing behind your product.

In the retail world, manufacturers issue the recalls on defective products, not the dealers, just like Mike Reagan did when ALL of the Pennsy turbines were recalled dealers and purchasers alike to check for a possible waterlog condition.

I guess I should remember not all of the moguls had defective gearboxes, just the handfull that ironically showed up on youtube....you bet.

On a side note, wheres the fix for the matching incorrectly colored passenger cars?

Oh well.... at least that parody of a mumble rap song with that achy breaky guy was good:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
161 Posts
With all due respect Marty, really? So its the dealers fault Lionel screwed up the paint on these?
I think the dealers take a big enough hit when prorders are cancelled because Lionel screws up the paint and other details.

So then if the dealer sends their J inventory back, what do they do about the new passengers cars that don't match the locos repainted by Harry??

And yes, as I've stated before, it was Mr. Muffins idea from the get go regarding a fix, out of pocket or not. Lionel said nothing until after the fact. I'd be willing to bet Lionel would have done nothing had Steve not put the spotlight on the issue.

And then Lionel only gave what, a month or two for the repaint? Nothing like standing behind your product.

In the retail world, manufacturers issue the recalls on defective products, not the dealers, just like Mike Reagan did when ALL of the Pennsy turbines were recalled dealers and purchasers alike to check for a possible waterlog condition.

I guess I should remember not all of the moguls had defective gearboxes, just the handfull that ironically showed up on youtube....you bet.

On a side note, wheres the fix for the matching incorrectly colored passenger cars?

Oh well.... at least that parody of a mumble rap song with that achy breaky guy was good:eek:hwell:
Wow talk about putting words in my mouth. I never said it was the dealers fault for Lionel painting them wrong. What I said is they are part of the problem if they are going to accept these locomotives and sell them, then turn around and ship the left overs to harry.

If they would have spoken up sooner there would have been a much better chance of getting factory shells rather than repaints and decals.

The idea for Harry repaints were in the pipe line in early December. Lionel was waiting to see if they could justify a run of shells or not.

Yeah Mr Muffin the real hero in all of this. I give him credit but their were a few of us that worked hard on getting a solution but unfortunately this was the best they could do based on the complaints at the time. I stand behind that because I know. I'm done with this now. Folks have determined by now what they needed to do and have done so. If you sent it back and your happy good for you, if your not happy you're stuck or need to sell.

I sent mine back and am happy with my decision.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fair enough Marty, but then then dealer is still gonna take the heat if the customers are unhappy with the "less than factory" repaints that don't match the factory cars.

Sounds like a potential can of worms for dealers, maybe they figure its less aggravation to sell them at "blowout prices" in a year.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did read Rockymountaineer posting on another forum, he did state that he was very pleased with the makeover. I guess it ended up better than the original from Lionel and met his expectations.

Bill

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did read Rockymountaineer posting on another forum, he did state that he was very pleased with the makeover. I guess it ended up better than the original from Lionel and met his expectations.

Bill
In the end that all that matter.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Bill
Yes, I read that. And despite however pleased he wants us all to believe that he is, it is a piece of trash! It is hard for me to believe that he hasn't actually opened his eyes!
The color might be OK, but, it is the quality of workmanship that is some of the worst that I have ever seen!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That would be Brian ( passenger train collector ), he left this forum and with a few others started up another train forum. He certainly was a cheerleader for Harry, no doubt about that.

Bill
LOL, I knew who it was... I certainly became tired of all his cheerleading bs...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts