Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently snagged a D&H 4-6-6-4 Challenger off eBay for a pretty penny since I know they are relatively difficult to find nowadays (at least the Delaware & Hudson roadname). Note that this is my first steam locomotive (go big or go home) and I'd like to stay within the D&H and NYC roundhouse so to speak.

With the help of some responses from another discussion I started about gathering information about the age of the model, I have now come to a fork in the road...

Some background:

The engine is from 1977 with a cab motor powering two sets of drivers (which are independent of one another). I have been running it without a load less than 20 mins over a few months to ensure it worked on a family layout (code 83) with 22" radius turns and traverses all turnouts with ease.

However, I have been hearing grinding and gnarling noises as it would pass by. I checked the clearance of the "pizza cutter" flanges and the code 83 plastic ties and there were no issues. I have investigated further and believe that it's coming from the gearing within the drivers that are running off the vertical drive shafts and within the worm gear (in the boiler) running directly off the horizontal drive shaft of the motor. My suspicion is that the model has never been taken apart and that the drive line within the boiler has little to no grease on the worm gear, bearings, etc.

I plan on taking it apart carefully and inspecting the drive line and using some light gear oil and gear grease to troubleshoot the noises. If the noise continues to exist, I will have to move on to remotor or replace the motor with a similar unit. If I continue to keep it DC and remotor it, which motor (which would have to be isolated from the frame) can handle a DCC conversion down the road?

Future Plans

I'd like to upgrade this locomotive to DCC one day in the hopes of it being the flagship of my fleet on a dedicated D&H layout (likely won't be built for a few years) with the focus on Oneonta, NY. Layout would be including a partial roundhouse (the original has 52 stalls!), yard and mainline operations during the peak of WWII.

Since the model is relatively old, would it make sense to remotor it while "under the hood" to put a decoder in if I have not replaced the motor already? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on what motors are suitable / can be retrofitted into this monster? Again, this is my first steamer so any suggestions on a decoder would be helpful too.

I have looked into the idea of adding sound in (likely Tsunami) during the DCC conversion but the catch is I would have to break into the tender. However, I have read that this is a risky task on an older model such as this.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Best,

Tom

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If it is a typical Rivarossi articulated, there is very little room for a replacement motor.
This one hangs outside the cab area.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Check here for 5-pole Canon CN22 motors. This is a common replacement when re-motoring HO scale locomotives, and many new locomotives (at least from Europe) use these motors as factory installs.

I would highly recommend re-motoring a locomotive from this era if converting to DCC.

Mashima Motors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check here for 5-pole Canon CN22 motors. This is a common replacement when re-motoring HO scale locomotives, and many new locomotives (at least from Europe) use these motors as factory installs.

I would highly recommend re-motoring a locomotive from this era if converting to DCC.

Mashima Motors
Hey Michael, I went through the link and saw the CN-22. I also read, through just googling Canon motors, that an EN-22 is another viable option. It’s more powerful than a DN-22 but not as powerful as a CN-22.
Apparently a EN-22 gives good speed/torque around prototypical speeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts