Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I have tried to remove one Lionel locomotive wheel, and one armature gear. I now have one broken wheel and one ruined gear.

has anyone had success with a specific gear or wheel puller that I can buy or make in order to remove gears and wheels from my locomotive without destroying them?

· Registered
159 Posts
Are you working on a Lionel prewar OO Hudson? I usually am able to gradually pry them off the axles using a broad flat head screw driver between the frame and the backside of the driver. Parts for these are not reproduced to any large extent, so care must be taken. I usually have to use a pair of side cuts and a bit of JB Weld to get them secure on the axle after removal. The Train Tender has some NOS and Reproduction parts for the Lionel OO line. For larger Lionel models, they make small pullers to do this kind of work. The original Lionel ones are a bit salty, but I found a small one at Harbor freight that will get behind and pull most O gauge Lionel wheels off the axles.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“Are you working on a Lionel prewar OO Hudson?”
I don’t t think that it is a Hudson. I believe that it is a 253, and am not sure if it also has a name I have already ruined one wheel trying to gently pry it off. I am thinking that I might have to sand some of the axle, which has been peened over at the ends, before trying to remove any more wheels. Is there a way to solder or reattach the broken area of the flange that has snapped off? It looks very sparkly, and not what I expected from a broken piece of metal. If not, I will need to replace the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts