Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several MTH PS2 diesels that I have purchased over the years starting around 2006. I do not have a layout but I am close to starting one which will be constructed using Atlas track with minimum curves of O-81. Most of my engines have scale wheels and fixed pilots. All the engines were purchased new and until now, few have been removed from the boxes. I decided to replace the batteries in these engines with BCR-2 units. The first engine I worked on was a GP38-2 which had hi-rail, not scale wheels. I removed the four body mount screws and the shell came off without much difficulty and I installed the BCR-2. My next attempt was with a scale wheel ES44AC engine (MTH #20-2823-2). I am having an issue getting this shell off. The instructions with the engine are kind of generic which said to remove six body mounting screws. I removed the screws for the body plus the front and rear pilots (which did not come off). I also disconnected and removed the speaker thinking there might be hidden screws under it, which there were not. Do I need to pry the shell away from the frame? Do I need to remove the fixed pilots (are they supposed to come right off or slide off horizontally?). I am afraid of breaking something off of the body shell if I am too rough in handling it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. After this engine I have six more PS2 diesels to do. Thanks for any assistance.

ps: I posted this over at another forum but I haven't received any responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
The last 10 years or so MTH locos come with a two or three page instruction pamphlet which is pretty basic and you have to go to the MTH site to get a more detailed operator's manual. You said you are looking at generic instructions so I'm wondering if you are looking at the two or three pager. Here is the operator's manual from the MTH site. Location of body mount screws is shown on page 16. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I was looking at those instructions that came with the engine. The pictures in the instructions are of the hi-rail model. I removed those 6 screws shown on Page 16 but the frame is still very tightly held by the loco body shell. Maybe I should spray the whole thing with WD40 :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, John. I'll try and wiggle the pilots a little more to see if that helps to loosen them up.

·
Registered
687 Posts
"It it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Do you have a test track set up?
Have you tried running these engines?

I don't see any reason to be foolin' with the internals unless you KNOW that the internal batteries have failed and need replacement.

Once you have a test track setup
or
Once you have the first track of your layout down...
then
...See if they run acceptably "as they are now" BEFORE you "go inside".

The batteries may still be doing ok.
No need to replace so long as the engines run acceptably well.

That's my advice and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Bob. Yes, I don't want to take a chance with the engines. Plus I need to familiarize myself with the maintenance and upkeep of the trains despite my uneasiness of removing the bodies from the frames.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the pictures, it appears that the fixed pilots may be holding the chassis on. I haven't seen this model with the fixed pilots, so I'm not sure if that is the case or not.
Yes, thanks John. I needed to disconnect the handrails from the pilot in order to remove them (Duh 🤪). Once that was done I was able to work them free and the frame came loose from the body.
I replaced the battery with the BCR-2 and reassembled the body to the frame. Thanks everyone for you suggestions and help.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts