Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a loco that im thinking of trying to reletter to my road, however all I want to remove is the current name on it which reads "Southern" so I want to just remove the name, but keep the road numbers on it, now when I run my hand on the lettering I do feel raised up letters so I assume they are not sealed or what ever, so I have some 50% and 91% alchol to use, so to make sure I do this right do I just need a small drop of either and let it sit for say a minute or so then peal off or whats the correct process to ensure the lettering is removed with out any issues??

pics of the engine in question can be supplied if needed.

Thanks for the help!

PS: yes im reading through the other threads that im finding on this but still unsure of the exact steps and timing things to make sure the paint is un touched!

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
feel raised up letters so I assume they are not sealed
Well there is a saying about "assuming"!:rolleyes:
The "raised letters" means that it was heat stamped on the engine!
Your going to find out very quickly that removing the paint from the body will happen about twice as fast as the lettering!:eek:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there is a saying about "assuming"!:rolleyes:
The "raised letters" means that it was heat stamped on the engine!
Your going to find out very quickly that removing the paint from the body will happen about twice as fast as the lettering!:eek:
ok what is the best way to not remove the paint, but still get to the lettering and get it off? or will I just have to remove the letters and paint? I don't have any other decals for this type of loco so Ill have to find a way to either make my own or have them custom made type thing...and no I don't know what shade of green was used on the loco...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well drat, so I guess the best thing would be to remove all paint then and just renumber it then? I was hoping I could just remove the Southern bit from both sides and leave the number/paint as is...

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Well it will help turn it into junk!:retard:
A heat gun or even a hot hair dryer on a most models will warp them faster than a speeding bullet train!:sly:
And quit calling the lettering decals! They are heat stamped or printed letters not decals!;)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it will help turn it into junk!:retard:
A heat gun or even a hot hair dryer on a most models will warp them faster than a speeding bullet train!:sly:
And quit calling the lettering decals! They are heat stamped or printed letters not decals!;)
well its better then calling them stickers ain't it? :p but the letters, there ill call them that LOL anyways im determined to find a way to get them off then do what I want to do with it...

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Simple... Take the body off the frame, stick it in a container with Purple cleaner and walk away, come back to it in about four hours with a tooth brush and brush the paint and lettering off, rinse and dry, then repaint and reletter, Done.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok what is "purple cleaner" is that something I can find in the automotive dept or stores? what other names/brands would the purple cleaner be named as? I know theres a "Royal Purple" but im sure were not talking that...

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
You can get Purple cleaner at most automotive and hardware stores, 2 names I know of are Castrol Super clean and Zep purple cleaner.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok cool, but I don't need that purple stuff, least right now I don't, but Ill still look for it when I make it to the auto store...

oh and to those who said what I was trying to do wouldn't be able to be pulled off with out any great results...;) all of 5 minutes with a friend called 91% rubbing alchol!!! WOO HOO!!

just rubbed a bit on and just used the best tool I have, my finger nail...and boom off the decals came...and I don't think these were heat transfers either as they came off too darned quick...but hey ill take it :D now I just need to find a way to make my own decals/transfers for my road!

ok now what did I do with that Jack Daniels of mine....

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my next step is to make decals for my road name and some logos (may reuse some BN type logos for that) and then try my hand at weathering it, and personially I kinda like how it looks now as it gives a slightly worn out look as if the paint has began faiding and what not and for this loco I want to try to go with the "aged but used heavially" looks...as in used by different rail roads and passed around a lot doing different jobs.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TJ: the configureation is a 0-4-0 its a basic shunter type, but still a good candidate to practice on I figure...as for the color I do like it but im going to try to do a distressed and worn and used look on it...

Have you tired a "Pink Pearl" eraser?
no I haven't, never heard of pink pearl, where can one be picked up at?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.